canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

hi my samsun tv is clicking for about tmo minutes before it

Customer Question

hi my samsun tv is clicking for about tmo minutes before it shows the white lights then it stays on i worried that it will not stay on and the switch will go off completely can you help NED
type PYE40E0
MODELLE40F86B BDX
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Does the screen come on but only white? Do you get sound? When you push the menu button, does the menu display?

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

the screen does not come on , from the red light when i switch on the tv no white lights come on [the screen is now blank] the

Customer:

The power indicator light comes on? Do you get sound and no picture? Is the power indicator light blinking when you try to turn it on?

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

the screen do not come on when i switch the main power on a red light comes the tv then i switch the tv on by the hand control then the clicking starts and nothing happens for about two minutes then the white lights starts coming on gradually then the tv comes on but not all the time

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

i do not get any sound the power indicator lightblinkingwhen i try to turn on yes

Customer:

It sounds to be a failing capacitor on the power supply. The capacitor stores power and often power surge will damage it and it will not be storing power properly. You do not have to be a TV technician to diagnose this problem but you will have to do a little exploratory surgery. Are you planning on repairing yourself or are you just getting an idea what may be at issue before calling someone out? Will you tell me how many times the light blinks?

Customer:

If you are planning to repair yourself I will be glad to instruct you on what to do.

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

i am planning to do it my self the lights blink about ten times ned

Customer:

Are you sure 10 times? Will you confirm?

Customer:

What is the manufacture date on the back? It is no longer under warranty, correct?

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

about ten times or even eight

Customer:

The exact amount will help us greatly. Will you confirm the number?

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

cannot see any date not under warranty

Customer:

Sorry I mean confirm the number of blinks?

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

the number of blinks vary sometimes ten eight or twelve

Customer:

Alright, no problem then. The next thing to do would be remove the back. Be sure the power is unplugged and be careful of the capacitors as they do store power. Are you familiar with electronics soldering and voltage testing?

Customer:

You will first be looking at the power supply for any bulging or leaking capacitors. The capacitors should be perfectly flat on top and not bulged out at all.

Customer:

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

i have the back off i am not familliar with voltage testing i bulging cannot see any

Customer:

The capacitors all look to be perfectly flat on top?

Customer:

Are you able to electronics solder?

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

yes

Customer:

Alright, if the capacitors look good there is a chip on the power supply that goes bad on that model. I believe I have seen a video that shows the chip. It is about half way through the power supply board. It is very inexpensive. I usually get them from Ebay myself. Won

Customer:

Won't be long, I will find the video.

Customer:

When you remove the power supply you will want to discharge the largest capacitor. This can be done by holding a resistor across the solder joints of the capacitor for a couple seconds.

Customer:

The video is not the exact model but the chip is in many models. Be sure to cross reference the numbers on the chip with the model of the tv to get the proper chip. The chip item number can even vary in the same model number tvs.

Customer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Re-UmG9Gc

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

the capacitor you sent me seems to be differant from the back of mine please check this model LE40F86BDX/XE4

Customer:

Sorry for the delay. The power flickered here and my internet was off until it reset.

Customer:

Do you not see a similar chip on the power supply? I knew it was not the same one but I have had to change that chip on many Samsung LCD tvs.

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

Hi ican't see a chipon the power supply NED

Customer:

If you power it on with the back off is there a blinking red light on the main board? The main board is the board the Hdmi cables connect to

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

i will have to check to late now because i have to take the back off again NED

Customer:

No problem

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

can you help now

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

can ypo help now NED

Customer:

Sure Ned. Did you find that the light was blinking?

JACUSTOMER-jgt617f7- :

hi i took the back off connect the power and it still flick 30 times before it came on

Customer:

The issue is the main board will need to be replaced. The main board is the board that the HDMI cables connect to. If you replace that then the TV will function normally.

Customer:

The power supply is sending power to the main board and the board is not sending the signal to the control board. Eventually it does but with time it will no longer send the signal.