George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hi We have a Smeg double elecrtric oven with gas range, - 70 cms wide. It is about 11 year

Hi We have a Smeg double elecrtric oven with gas range, - 70 cms wide. It is about 11 years. The cleaners who clean our house have somehow managed to do something to the clock timer which results in it spinning through at high speed and never stopping. You can get it to stop by setting the time but as soon as you try to use the timer it starts whizzing round. It's a digital clock. We have powered down the cooker and left it off overnight in the hope that this would reset the clock properly but no luck.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you need to ask for more info, please do. Kindly be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm only here part-time.

Can you give me the complete model number of the appliance so that I can identify the clock and controls in question

Customer:

The model number does not appear in the manual, strangely. Where on the cooker should we look. If its on the back we cannot get to it.

Customer:

hello? any suggestions?

George-Allsorts :

If you open the oven, the model number should be on a sicker somewhere surrounding the oven orifice

Customer:

Sorry - nothing there.

George-Allsorts :

How about down the side of the oven door?

Customer:

researching online the best match we have seen, and its a good one, is the

Smeg A42-6 70cm Opera Dual Cavity Cooker with Multifunction Oven and Gas hob

Customer:

nothing on side of oven door, sorry.

George-Allsorts :

OK... do you have a smartphone or other device that will allow you to take a picture and post it here for me to try identify the cooker for you?

Customer:

i do but if you look here you will see what it looks like.

Customer:

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/Smeg_70cm_Opera__Dual_Cavity_Cooker_with_Multifunction_Oven_and_Gas_hob_A42-6/version.asp

Customer:

actually I'll send you a picture as although it looks very much like this clearly this is a later model, hang on a mo.

George-Allsorts :

Is that the actual cooker?

George-Allsorts :

an A42-6

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok so thats it it is 11 years old so it looks similar to the A42-6 but I don't know what it's model number is.

Customer:

ok - it looks as though my wife has fixed it through some random button pushing. Thx for your help.