George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Miele Premier 300. When sdpinning last night, spinner made

Miele Premier 300. When sdpinning last night, spinner made a terrible noise and I stopped machine. When I opened it there was a smell of burning rubber and steam/smoke. Not sure what to do now.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you need to ask for more info, please do. Kindly be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm only here part-time.

If you open the door and put your hand on the drum, is it floppy or lose?

Customer:

It seems normal and goes round OK but it squeaks a bit

George-Allsorts :

OK.. was it water or smoke you saw

Customer:

I think it was smoke

George-Allsorts :

If you put your hand on the drum and spin it , is there a rumble?

Customer:

Not a rumble, but a definite squeak and a small amount of resistance

George-Allsorts :

OK... try this... If you grab the drum at one point and with two fingers, try to raise it from the edge by lifting... is there any movement?

Now move the drum a third of the way round and try again... Then the last third and try again

Customer:

No cannot raise it at any point

George-Allsorts :

Ok, one last test... if you pull the seal toward you in parts around the drum then spin the drum by hand, does the resistance and squeak disappear?

Customer:

No change when I do this - still squeak and slight resistance

George-Allsorts :

OK... looking at the gap between the door seal and the drum, is the gap even all the way around?

Customer:

Yes, seems to be

George-Allsorts :

What I was looking for was either damaged bearings or a broken drum support which would have caused the drum to rub on the door seal... This is still possible...

However, unless one of the tests was too weak to produce a result for you, then you have lost something in between the drums which is causing a resistance and possibly burning on the heating element

Unless you feel you can attempt stripping the whole machine yourself then you will need to Click here to find an Appliance Technician local to you

George-Allsorts :

Please remember to rate my assistance kindly

Customer:

Thank you George. I don't think I could get the machine out let alone strip it down!! I shall contact a appliance technician. Thank you for your help.

George-Allsorts :

You are very welcome.. Please rate my assistance to you kindly