George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hi, I have a Hotpoint dishwasher model BCI 450 which stopped

Hi, I have a Hotpoint dishwasher model BCI 450 which stopped working when it was interrupted during a wash cycle following a power cut. An error is appearing when the eco and soak cycle flash simultaneously approximately 3 minutes after the cycle starts. The dishwasher is probably around 5-6 years old and I'm trying to work out if it's worth repairing, or do I have to get a new one? Your advice would be appreciated.
Angela
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not available constantly.

Hi Angela, can you tell me what happens if you open the door, turn off the appliance for 3 secs, turn it back on again and shut the door

George-Allsorts :

Also, you say there was a power cut.. do you think the two were related?

Customer: Hi George, I'm taking a guess that the power cut is related to the fault but I don't know. Unfortunately I'm at work now so can't test your theory. Also, I'm now renting out the flat so will have to get the tenant to try any suggestions you make. I'm told that when they switch on the dishwasher, it sounds as if it's going to work normally, then after a few minutes, both lights start flashing and it stops working.
George-Allsorts :

Your answers have sorted most of what I needed... Thank you for responding..

It seems you have a heating problem.. This could be the thermistor or the heater itself.. one moment whilst I check the parts for that appliance

George-Allsorts :

From the parts available for the product we can surely assume that the fault lies with this C00074000

George-Allsorts :

If you need an Appliance Technician to test the part and associated parts like the supplying PCB then use this link to Find An Engineer local to you

George-Allsorts :

The part I have indicated to you is the Heater with a combined Thermostat.. If this goes faulty, down to eart, it will trip the electric in exactly the scenario that you have described

Customer:

Hi George, thank you for the suggestion. I'll try the link you sent and see if I can get this sorted.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. I look forward to receiving some feedback on the results... Remember to rate kindly when appropriate

George-Allsorts :

Hi Angela, how did you get on with changing the heater on your dishwasher?

Customer:

Hi George - apologies for the delay in getting back to you - it's just been one of those weeks! I did as you suggested and got someone to come down and look at the dishwasher using the part number you gave but unfortunately, this wasn't the problem. I've decided to replace the dishwasher as it was becoming more cost effective to do this than to have continual repairs and at least the new one comes with an extended warranty! Thanks for your help and I'm sure if I have any further issues with appliances, I'll be in touch.