Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hi, wonder if you can help me. I have a Beko DW601 dishwasher.

Customer Question

Hi, wonder if you can help me. I have a Beko DW601 dishwasher. Programme light for Economy 50* is flashing and it won't let me select a programme or initiate Start. There's a small amount of water in the sump below the filter but I think this is normal.
Cleaned all the filters and spray arms. Tried clearing by pressing Start for 3 secs; no response. Then followed your v useful instructions for a DW600 (which I believe is pretty similar) about a year ago to enter test mode and ran test cycle. No lights on at the end of cycle. Seemed to be draining OK. But outside test mode it's still not responding and the Economy 50* cycle light is still flashing. Any ideas? Thanks.
Gregory
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

JACUSTOMER-zdrn75y3- : Hello Ian
Dales-Electronic :

OK when you switch it on do you hear the pump running but nothing else happening?

JACUSTOMER-zdrn75y3- : When I switch it on I hear the briefest of beeps and the Economy 50* cycle light begins to flash. The Start button does not respond so nothing happens.
Dales-Electronic :

OK I need you to check and see if you have water in the base of the cabinet (not within the appliance) this will mean you will have to remove the kickstrip and have a peep within with a torch

Dales-Electronic :

ie not in the sump but rather in the bottom of the unit where there might have been a leak

JACUSTOMER-zdrn75y3- : Yes I've taken a look at that already. Dry and squeaky clean (only two and a bit years old... Just out of warranty!)
Dales-Electronic :

OK if you look inside you should be able to see a round plastic thing with three wires going to it screwed to the base with a polystyrene float assembly inside. Can you check that the connections to the switch are not melted and that the float is free to move (electric off first please)

JACUSTOMER-zdrn75y3- : Hmm. Do I have the right bit? There's a large translucent plastic drum on the left, but it has only two wires going to it (both OK). It might have a float inside (there's something orange) but I can't see through the plastic, and I don't see how I could check it for movement.
Dales-Electronic :

Hang on a mo just checking something ~

Dales-Electronic :

If you click on the link above this will give you a picture of the NTC sensor ~ this is the thing that measures the temperature of the appliance during wash. What you need to do is check that the cables to this sensor are sound and not chaffed and are being routed back to the main facia pcb. The fault code 50/eco indicates that this is faulty but can also be the cabling. I'll dig out the diagram and see where it is fitted and come back to you later. Had to check that the base and flood protection was OK first ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-zdrn75y3- : The link halts me at the main page. Do I need to create an account and is it open to non-trade?
Dales-Electronic :

Just trying to get another supplier who may sell direct to you

Dales-Electronic :

OK this should do ~ http://www.beko-spares.co.uk/search/?c=0&c2=0&search=dw601&page=2 the part you need is part number(###) ###-####NTC sensor

Dales-Electronic :

Hope that has been helpful if so kindly rate my service ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-zdrn75y3- : Thank you. It's described as a thermistor on the site. Is that the same thing? Also, can you advise me where it is and how to get at it?
Dales-Electronic :

I'll come back to you with where it is shortly just trying to find the diagrams ~ thermistor is the same as a ntc

JACUSTOMER-zdrn75y3- :

Hi, did you manage to find anything? Thanks.

Dales-Electronic :

Hang on just digging out the illustrated diagram

Dales-Electronic :

OK heres how to do it ~ firstly remove the appliance from the cabinet, disconnect all pipes and electric and (towels at the ready) tip it over on its back. Remove the base taking care as there is a flood protection float and switch screwed to the base (either unscrew it or carefully noting position remove the cables from the switch) You can now see the sump area, the ntc thermistor is pushed into this sump. Remember my earlier point, check that the connection cables to this ntc are sound. Replace the ntc and reconnect ~ reassemble the appliance and test whilst you have it out ~ make sure that the cables to the flood protection device are not charred and that there was no water in the base. Good luck ~ If you need further help give me a buzz, kindly rate my service when you are happy with things as I cannot close down the job until rated. Thanks ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-zdrn75y3- :

OK, I have the part on order but it may take a few days to get here, so I can't complete the repair immediately . Your instructions seem perfectly clear, and I'm happy to sign off. Thank you very much.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. I have replaced the NTC but the dishwasher is behaving as before. Flashing light no 3. I ran the test cycle again and got no error codes, and in fact if the NTC were still the problem wouldn't it show up on the test cycle? Wires all look clean and in good condition. In fact the whole thing looks pristine. What next?

OK when last you put it on did you get any heating of the water? The fault is associated as we mentioned earlier with measurement of the water temperature. Have you now got some hot water inside? Im assuming that you are not still locked out and have no ability to start the program?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I am still locked out and can only run the test cycle.
OK let me see if I can find the factory reset instructions and lets start from scratch, we need to get passed this lockout stage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any progress? We are getting fed up with no dishwasher and will call an engineer soon if we can't get this sorted. Thanks.

Try this press and release the 50 button and tell me what happens ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There isn't a 50 button; only a 50 light, which flashes. There is no response to the programme selector button when pressed.

OK give me a moment ~ I'll come back to you ~~ OK can you confirm for me that the lamp flashing is the third from the left?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. Have to go out now, back this afternoon.

OK this indicates that there is a problem with the appliance heating the water as originally stated. This can be the heater, the ntc thermistor, the cables to and from the pcb and the pcb. You will need to check using a multimeter that the heater is OK and cabling back to the pcb is sound, that the reading at the pcb from the ntc are correct and that you don't have any loose cables as they fit to the pcb.. Once you have cleared them as OK the only other fault you can have is with the pcb ~
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had another good look around the cabling, which seems sound, and have decided it's time to call in an engineer as it's pushing the limits of my competence (and time). Thank you very much for all your help.

Many thanks for that ~ take care and have a great day ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Finally, finally sorted. Both main PCB and control board replaced. Culprit seems to have been a dodgy fused switch at the wall which fried both boards.