George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hotpoint WMD962 washing machine. Recently the drum

I have a Hotpoint WMD962 washing machine. Recently the drum lifters all came out which I put down to them being consumable parts. However, I have just seen my third replacement set come loose and fall out. The tabs on the back of the lifters seem to be getting sheared off. Is this a known problem and is there anything I can do without spending hundreds of pounds
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.

Most likely is that the lifters have not been inserted in correctly.. It is sometimes difficult to get the fitting of these correct.. The lifter has to bee perfectly flat against the drum when fitting.. if the recess has deepened slightly, which is a good indication of this, tease it back to flat with a screwdriver, but be careful not to tease it too far

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

Hi George, drum lifters have been inserted properly, the metal tab has been slightly raised to enable the lifters to "snap" into position and are perfectly flat when fitted. I've checked the drum and there is no evidence of any deepening of the recesses. This would not account for all 3 lifters failing at the same time.

George-Allsorts :

Is there anything that you are washing that could have a 'hammer action' .. ie. plimsoles etc?

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

no, regular stuff - no shoes or anything heavy

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

Yesterday when the latest lifters went it was just 5 work shirts!

George-Allsorts :

mmm.. that is interesting... Where are yu buying the replacement lifters from and are they 'originals'?

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

first from spares, second was a cheap from Ebay but the last set were originals from Indesit - £45 for the set

George-Allsorts :

Well.. I know this is not easy to do, but can you tell me approximately the timescale of these purchases/

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

There are scratches and dents on the remaining tabs on the bottom of the lifters - my guess is that the drum may be out of alignment or loose and is hitting the tank as it rotates - is this likely. The washer was making a bit of a noise yesterday

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

Machine was probably bought about 4 yrs ago

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me, does the drum make a rumbling noise as you rotate it?

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

no, sounds ok

George-Allsorts :

if we imaging your drum is a triangle... try lifting the drum gently with one finger... if there is no movement use slightly more force... then tri again at the three points around the drum.. Let me know if there is any movement

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

No movement up

George-Allsorts :

I know this might sound a little rude but it needs to be asked.. Have you lost anything like bra-wires throughout the family

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

no, don't think so. no one has complained

George-Allsorts :

and is it always the rear tabs that are destryed?

George-Allsorts :

destroyed

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

Yes, could it be that the tabs from the previous lifters which have fallen off and are somewhere in the bowels of the machine float up when there is water and rub against the drum as it rotates thereby shearing off the new tabs?

George-Allsorts :

You have a good mind there.. although that is not likely... it is why I asked you about bra-wires as that is common.

George-Allsorts :

All I can think is that something is doing exactly that.. but not the tabs.. That leads me back to the question I asked before.

I know this is not easy to do, but can you tell me approximately the timescale of these purchases

George-Allsorts :

The lifters that is

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

Oh, the last set of lifters were bought about a week ago and have had no more than 10 cycles

George-Allsorts :

OK.. are you mechanically minded?

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

slightly

George-Allsorts :

Do you have someone who can work on the appliance for you that has tools?

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

what tools are needed

George-Allsorts :

small spanner 10mm, screwdrivers, and possibly pliers

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

sure, i have that

George-Allsorts :

Ok, If you want I can instruct you in removing the heater in order that you can look into the drum for objects that might do this...

but before we do this, have you tried peering through the holes where the lifters should be?

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

ok, sounds good. I have looked through the slots where the lifters go and can see the heating element below

George-Allsorts :

is there anything attached to the heating element?

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

not that I could see

George-Allsorts :

And is there nothing that you can see that could be not part of the element itself

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

no

George-Allsorts :

Then Im afraid removing the element will not benefit then

George-Allsorts :

Let me speak to Indesit for you... I will come back at some point. I want to speak to them about the purchase and failure of the parts.. How many were replaced that you purchased from Indesit?

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

just one set of 3 lifters

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. I shall return later today with a response from them

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

excellent - thx for your help.

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

Do you think I need to write off this washer and buy a new one?

George-Allsorts :

Hi, I have spoken to Indesit for you, but they are also at a loss as to why the parts would have broken off so quickly... If you accept the Additional Service Request I am about to send you, you can then get my telephone number and I can assist you in another way.

JACUSTOMER-ecv0qtvc- :

Hi George, Bitten the bullet and bought a new machine. I think buying more drum lifters would be throwing good money after bad. Thx for your help though

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George, After much probing and fiddling I found the offending wire and have extracted it - you were right, it was hidden from view and I only found it by sticking a screwdriver carefully into the area near the heating elements. I've now canx my new washing machine and would like to take you up on the offer of the reduced price drum lifters you mentioned in your note last week. How do we get this moving??

Use the 'Additional Servce' that I sent you last week.. This will allow you to get my contact number and we can work from there on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, kindly offer again the additional service. Thank you.

Did you get it?
Please see contact info below
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George, I'll call you in the morning after 10am. We can discus the new drum lifters at that time.

Have a good evening.

OK Alex..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George - I can't find your phone number to speak to you about the drum lifters - I've paid the extra money but the details you provided have disappeared off my screen again.

Below
Just sent a text with my details