Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a satellite p500 - 12d with a battery charging issue.

Customer Question

I have a satellite p500 - 12d with a battery charging issue. The mains led is flashing but the battery isn,t charging. Is this a charging lead issue or internal ?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK have you any means of testing the output of the ac adaptor it should be at around 19v DC

Dales-Electronic :

If you find that there isn't any output at the computer plug end and you have tested that power is going into the ac adaptor you can get a replacement here ~ http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=toshiba+p500-12d+power+supply+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atoshiba+p500-12d+power+supply+

Dales-Electronic :

Come back to me when you've got this tested ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-9w4k76jl- : I have tested the output which is cycling between 19 and 21v. I checked my computer again but the same symptoms are still there.
Dales-Electronic :

OK will it run OK with the charger connected ?

JACUSTOMER-9w4k76jl- : No
Dales-Electronic :

OK well unless you have got a totally clapped out battery then you have an internal fault on the board Im afraid

JACUSTOMER-9w4k76jl- : Could it be the battery which is four years old?
Dales-Electronic :

Yes four years is a long time for a laptop batter, the HP im using now only lasted 2 years hang on and I'll see what they cost

Dales-Electronic :

They seem to be quite expensive at about £45 on ebay ~ youd have to think carefully if you want to spend this amount on an old laptop

JACUSTOMER-9w4k76jl- : Thanks I will consider ... Thanks for your help
Dales-Electronic :

No worries sorry we weren't able to get you an easy fix ~ Ian