Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I am on a gas meter. my meter ran out and I put in more money.

Customer Question

I am on a gas meter. my meter ran out and I put in more money. The gas is flowing but the boiler is not igniting. Is this due to an air lock in the gas feed. if so How do I bleed it.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Are you using the boiler for heating or just hot water?

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

for heating

canuck the pro :

Are you getting hot water or no hot water or heating?

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

I'm not getting either. I only get hot water when my heating is on.

canuck the pro :

How did you determine that the fuel is flowing? Are the stop valves on under the boiler?

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

Because when I put credit in my meter it turns on the gas. The very same as I did 2 weeks ago when I put credit in after the summer. I had not used the heating since may last and it worked as soon as put credit in then. A technician told me before when this happened that it could be air locked due to the gas been turned off.

canuck the pro :

Yes it very well could. If you look on the gas line where it connects to the boiler, is there a bleed valve there? If not then you may have to loosen the union nut connection and let it his out a minute to let the air out.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

Is that between the pump and the boiler and if so is the bleed valve a lever or a nut.

canuck the pro :

The bleed valve actually may be near the pump. It would be a nut. The bleed valve may also be nearer the boiler. There should be a bleed valve on the pump.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

Is that identified as a bleed valve or how will I know if not. Can you describe what it looks like.

canuck the pro :

The bleed valve at the pump may require a hex key to loosen. You will also want to have a rag or two ready.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

I will have a look to see. be back in a second.

canuck the pro :

Very good.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

In the center of the pump face there is a flat brass screw head which can be turned by a flat screwdriver. Is that the bleed valve?

canuck the pro :

Do you know the model pump that you have?

canuck the pro :

Did you see a hex screw? Usually they are a hex screw.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

HM 5 - 130 Is that the model no.

canuck the pro :

Give me a minute to look it up, ok?

canuck the pro :

Do you see a nipple with a hex nut on it at the five o'clock position on the face of the pump?

canuck the pro :

If you do see the nipple, then turn the power off on the pump then loosen the hex nipple and let the oil trickle out for a few minutes then close it and turn the pump back on and it should fire the boiler then. If that does not do it then the fuel filter is clogged and needs to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

I have just taken off the fron face cover of the boiler and it is a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 30/80 boiler. The pump O was referring to I think is the water pump that circulates the heating system.

canuck the pro :

The pump that would need to be bled is the fuel pump.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

There is the Thermostat control knob showing 0-6 setting underneath which has 4 lights. 1 boiler on. 2 air on. 3 pilot on and 4 Burner on. its this one that does not light. I have taken the whole cover off the boiler and I can see no pump

canuck the pro :

The pump is not in the boiler. It is a separate pump. It will be on the fuel line from the tank. It would be closer to the tank.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

From what tank. I am on a mains supply

canuck the pro :

The fuel tank.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

I'm on gas which is not fed from a tank. Its fed from the meter to the boiler

canuck the pro :

Alright. To bleed the gas line you would loosen the nut on the incoming fuel to the boiler. Where the gas line connects to the boiler. You do not have to remove the face.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

I don't see any nut on the line feeding the boiler. I am looking at all copper pipes in the hot press. There is a lever with a tag on it on one which is going to the boiler. that is all I can see. I can not see any pump feeding the boiler.

canuck the pro :

Well there will not be a pump on gas. When you mentioned the pump I thought it was oil. There will be a gas line from the meter to the boiler. It should be labeled right next to the connection "gas".

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

Well my man my question to Ask Jeeves specifically stated. How do I free an air lock in a baxi gas boiler. I have spent a full bloody hour without any information on my question only a load of hassle. this service is crap I do not want any charge against my credit card. In fact I should be billing ye for an hour of my time totally wasted

canuck the pro :

If you read the very first suggestion I made was to loosen the nut on the boiler and let it hiss out. I did read the question but i mistakenly took your comment shortly after that about the pump to mean that it must be oil instead of gas and you had your tank filled. Sorry for that. I really did suggest much earlier to loosen the nut on the incoming fuel line to get any air out. Do you not see the fuel line connected to the boiler? It would be clearly marked right next to the connection on the boiler.

canuck the pro :

Sometimes there is a bleed valve installed but I also have no way to know if there was one installed without asking.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

Are you not reading my reply's to your questions. can you please read my answer to your question at 5.24am

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

Well you are supposed to be the expert and let me know where I should see the bleed valve. That's the bloody question I asked over an hour ago. How the hell do you expect me to know.

canuck the pro :

Your answer was that you do not see a gas line connected to the boiler. Only a valve with a tag on it, correct? Did you look next to the connections on the boiler to see what they are labeled? It would be labeled on the boiler. Right next to where the lines are connected. The gas line is connected to the boiler with a nut. the nut tightens it to the boiler.

canuck the pro :

I understand you are frustrated. The fact is the gas line is connected to the boiler. The fact I cannot confirm is if there is a bleed valve installed on the gas line. If you cannot tell which line is the gas line I would recommend having a tech out to bleed the air for you.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

there are 2 copper pipes to the boiler. one is I would say 3/4" and the other 1/2" which has a silver nut on it holding a brass tag which says "electrical connection do not remove" However there is nothing electrical attached to it and I feel that may be the nut/screw which may be the bleed as it looks to go straight to the pipe. Would that be correct?

canuck the pro :

No that is the power in conduit. I think it may be best for you to call a technician. The lines would be labeled on the boiler. Do not loosen the nut on the power.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

Oh this is ridiculous. I told you there is no power of any sort on this pipe/line. forget it. Why the f**k had I the misfortune to ask

canuck the pro :

There is power hooked up to the boiler along with water and gas. The power is inside conduit that looks like pipe.

JACUSTOMER-sn7ssrxo- :

Look Mike. I know what conduit is and I know what a copper pipe is. Don't now insult my intelligence. I said forget it. I am done with this bloody episode. I want you to make sure I am not charged against my credit card. Thanks for nothing. Michael

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi . I am a gas engineer and will try to help you