Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

The bottom part of my electric baumatic double oven has stopped

Customer Question

The bottom part of my electric baumatic double oven has stopped working. The top oven still works but the main oven has no power at all. No light, fan, heat or control panel
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Can you let me have the model number and serial number and I will have a look for you ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-0xt21xzo- : Hi that's fine
Dales-Electronic :

Could you confirm that you have no display being shown ~ have you had a recent power cut or the electric switched off to the oven?

JACUSTOMER-0xt21xzo- : Yes there's no display not sure if there has been a power cut
Dales-Electronic :

OK if you can give me the model number I will look out the wiring diagram

JACUSTOMER-0xt21xzo- : Model no BO796ss serial number 1206 00066
Dales-Electronic :

OK thanks how handy are you with a screwdriver? and have you any electrical experience/test equipment?

JACUSTOMER-0xt21xzo- : Screw driver yes test equipment no but will put my hand to any thing
Dales-Electronic :

OK let me explain how the electric goes around ~ power is supplied to a connector plug at the back of the oven, it then separates out and in your case with the main oven the supply goes to the timer, there are four wires connected a live and a neutral and then a live in and live out that is switched by a relay on the timer. Once it has passed thro the timer it goes to a switch and then finally thro a thermostat that now controls the temperature of the oven. You will have to get the oven out and locate the timer, likely having to take a cover off you then need to see if you have continuity from the connector at the back to this timer. Before you do this and with the electric off check that no contacts have been burned off or parts of the timer melted. ~ I have to go out and finish my afternoons work but I have offered you an additional service option which lists my phone number and I can talk you thro or else I will be back at 5pm and we can continue with the fault finding ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-0xt21xzo- : Hi I will take it apart and get a multimeter and will continue tonight thanks karl
Dales-Electronic :

OK that fine see you later ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-0xt21xzo- : Hi I have a multimeter and have had a go at testing. Is the relay a blue square attached to the pub behind the display
Dales-Electronic :

Sorry for the delay Ive been driving across the UK to Liverpool - yes the relay is rectangular - what you need to do is find out if you have power ie 220-240 at two of the four contacts they are usually grouped together in a pair so power of and check each pair in turn, if you have power to a pair the other pair are the switch pair. If you have power at the timer but no display then the timer is faulty and you will have to replace it ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-0xt21xzo- : So how do I test this do I need the power on? I'm not sure if I'm testing with the multi meter properly or how to use it
Dales-Electronic :

OK set the multimeter to voltage ac may be down as v~ if its not auto ranging then select the range likely 300v or perhaps 600v, with the power off connect the probe one to each of the selected pair wires

JACUSTOMER-0xt21xzo- : Hi just to let you know that I have had to call an engineer the missus was getting on my case so thanks for the help Let's hope it doesn't cost too much ~ karl
Dales-Electronic :

Hi Karl, No worries sorry we couldn't finish this together, if you could just rate my service I would be grateful, it lets me shut down the job off the system ~ kind regards ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

If you get stuck finding an engineer this link may help ~ http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/search/find-an-appliance-engineer.html