canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a built- in Bosch microwave (HMT84M651B). It was installed

Customer Question

I have a built- in Bosch microwave (HMT84M651B). It was installed in my kitchen about three and a half years ago. It has never been a problem until Wednesday. The display is lit up, the light comes on when the door opens and the turntable turns if it is switched on but it does not heat anything up - any advice? Can it be repaired or do I need a new one?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is there any water possibly spilled under the turntable? If there is water there then it will not heat the items but it will heat the water our liquid under the turntable.

JACUSTOMER-ry1tqqwz- :

No, there is no water under the turntable.

Customer:

Does it click when trying to heat anything? Is there any error message?

JACUSTOMER-ry1tqqwz- :

It makes the usual noise and the turntable turns, everything seems entirely normal but it is not heating up at all

Customer:

It is very likely the control board. If you are quite handy with electronics then replacing the board would be affordable. Having a service do it would be quite expensive. Are you sure it is not under warranty? It may have 5 years.

JACUSTOMER-ry1tqqwz- :

Unfortunately I don't think it is still under warranty so it looks like a new one!

JACUSTOMER-ry1tqqwz- :

Many thanks anyway

Customer:

If your replace the logic board it will repair it but it is surgery to repair. The cost of having a service repair it will be just a little less than replacement. It is a very frustrating and common situation. This happens with so many appliances these days. Power surge or a faulty part on the logic board will determine the life of an appliance or electronic item. I had a brand new 48" smart tv just 2 months ago and it went out after a week. The screen was bad. Luckily it was still under warranty but that could have happened the day after it was out of warranty. You just never know.

JACUSTOMER-ry1tqqwz- :

Very many thanks for your help. I think it is probably best to go for a new one although I may have to buy the same model as I know that will fit into the space which I'm reluctant to do!!!

Customer:

These days everything is a financial time bomb. So sorry about your microwave.

JACUSTOMER-ry1tqqwz- :

Very many thanks again for your help and advice.

You are very welcome. The microwaves are standard sizes but the anchor plate it connects to will very likely have to be replaced. The microwaves come with the installation plate so you really could get about any microwave you would like.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** useful.

I am glad to help.