Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a Beko WMB71642W washing machine. Our washing has

We have a Beko WMB71642W washing machine. Our washing has been coming out of the machine with what appears to be powder residue on it. We tried running the self clean programme which originally states the programme time as 2hrs 20mins but the programme stops after about 30 mins. On the suspicion that the water was not being heated we have checked the power going to the heating element (husband is an electrician) and the reading showed that there was only 6 volts. Heating element has been previously replaced.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

If its not heating and you are only getting 6v to the heater then its normally down to the circuit board. As on the board there is a heater relay and if this fails it will stop sending the power to the heater.

Im taking it your husband has tested the heater for resistance? It should read about 28 Ohms so worth checking this and making sure its all ok.
Also in the middle of the heater is the NTC sensor. It will have 2 thin wires going to it. Check the resistance of this as well. It should be roughly about 8 Kohms.

If the heater and NTC both check out ok then you are looking at the control board at fault. Now its not uncommon for these boards to fail as ive replaced loads of them over the years on Bekos.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haven't checked the resistance of any of the heater element coils. However disconnected the heater element supply and tested the voltage across the spades. As discussed earlier this was only 6v? Presumed this was why the washing machine wasn't getting hot?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Yeap that will be why its not heating. The heater itself may be fine as it seems a supply fault but you will need to test the NTC sensor in the heater. As if this is fault it will stop the control board from sending 230v to the heater so check the NTC and make sure its ok and if it is then it will be the control board at fault.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have now checked the heater element however;
1) Across the heater element open circuit no resistance!
2) NTC resistance was 6.97 Kohms.
Therefore do we think both the heater and circuit board have gone?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok its possible the heater has caused the control board to fail as its not uncommon on appliances for this to happen.

So if you dont get 230v to the heater at any time during the wash then its taken the board out as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to confirm when you say control board is this the part with the display on it?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Yes thats it. Its the part with the display on it and the controls you use to set it going.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.