George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Bosch dishwasher Exxcel (SRS45E32GB)Stopped 20 mins from

Bosch dishwasher Exxcel (SRS45E32GB/09) Stopped 20 mins from end of auto wash cycle with "Check Water" alarm light on. Many attempts to restart, switched power off, carried out reset, checked inlet filter and water supply, all seemed O.K. but still wouldn't start properly, just sounded like it was trying to pump out, shortly followed by "Check Water" alarm and stopping. Eventually removed both parts of water inlet filter and now working fine! Any idea if these parts are vital? They were totally clean, even after 6 years daily use. The tiny "basket" has an obvious purpose, but there is also a small white plastic gubbins with a black rubber washer attached which looks like it almost totally blocks the supply! What's that all about? Is it a "non-return valve" to protect the water supply purity?

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.

When you say you removed both parts of the Water Inlet Filter.. which end of the fill pipe are you meaning?

Customer:

Hi George, the appliance end.

George-Allsorts :

So the inlet valve itself?

George-Allsorts :

can you take a photo and post it here .. I will try identify and assist

Customer:

I don't know enough to identify an inlet valve but I was just going to suggest that I send you a pic. of the two bits I have removed. Bear with me for a 5 minutes or so.

Customer:

Water inlet parts
Full Size Image

Customer:

Did that work? They don't make it easy!

Customer:

O.K. so it was 8 minutes... are you still about?

Customer:

The bit on the right is the odd one, it really seemed to be blocking the inlet pipe, unless it had got dislodged somehow? Nobody has touched the dishwasher since we bought it, I haven't meddled with it myself until now either.

George-Allsorts :

Yes, sorry.

George-Allsorts :

Let me just have a look

Customer:

I just want to make it clear, it's working fine now, but without the two parts in the photo left out.

Customer:

Sorry my grammar's gone wrong!

George-Allsorts :

Yes I understand that.. I'm just having a look at the schema now... You say that was part of the inlet valve?...

Customer:

The parts in the photo are immediately under the appliance end of the water hose, white plastic bit goes in first with black washer facing outwards & then the pink filter outermost.

George-Allsorts :

Inbetween the hose and the fitting on the appliance?

Customer:

No, they actually would be still inside the appliance even with the hose undone.

George-Allsorts :

Inside the valve that the hose screws on to?

Customer:

I had to extract them (carefully!) with pliers.

Customer:

Yes, inside. Sorry I was typing while you asked me the last question.

George-Allsorts :

Yes.. I thought so... ... This is a restrictor to stop too much water entering the appliance... and the basket is a filter to stop bits entering the valve... It is actually better to keep the parts there if you can..

Customer:

I'll try fitting them once more, I'm pretty sure the pointed end of the restrictor was pointing towards the outside of the appliance when I first removed it, if not I'll try it the other way round, but maybe the restrictor needs replacing? Is it an available part?

Customer:

Can we return to this conversation when I've tried out another wash or two, say another couple of hours?

Customer:

Sorry, so many questions....

Customer:

I'm just on the second wash WITHOUT the parts fitted, when that's finished, in about an hour at a guess, I'll fit the parts and try again!

Customer:

It's decided to go for the full 137 minute cycle (it's on auto) so won't be back here until gone 7.30!

George-Allsorts :

You can return and ask me questions whenever you see fit .. Please remember to rate my response though as this is the purpose of the exercise for me...

The restrictor is not normally a part that would require replacement.. However if you think the valve is going faulty then a replacement part from Bosch can be found at the link below, currently costing £21.00

SOLENOID WATER VALVE BOSCH DISHWASHER PN: #00167025

Customer:

Well, I don't know if you're still there, but the second wash took the full 137 minutes (on auto it usually, but not always, shortens the cycle by an hour or so!). I then fitted both parts back, as I found them I'm pretty sure, and started a 30 minute cycle and it's STILL working, maybe there's an intermittent fault and removing those parts made no difference at all. Thanks for talking to me, I suppose I should close this now. If you read any more of these ramblings perhaps you could reply to the "availability of the part" question.

Customer:

Are you still there?

George-Allsorts :

yes

George-Allsorts :

Im actually enjoying the fact that you seem to have a quite clever mind

Customer:

Sorry, It's the first time I've used this & I'm trying to get the hang of it!

George-Allsorts :

You are doing very well considering

Customer:

Any idea what might have caused the original problem?

George-Allsorts :

Well, if I had to bat a ball into that park I would be inclined to go for the impellor jug or inlet valve,

Customer:

O.K. I'll sign off now! I've taken up a lot of your time, thanks for your patience.

George-Allsorts :

The warning is just saying that it didn't fill to full level within the stated time

George-Allsorts :

you are welcome.. hope all goes well

Customer:

Right. Bye for now!

George-Allsorts :

A nice bit of feedback to JA would be nice

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair