Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hotpoint Fridge/freezer model EXFM171S Bought in May 2014.

Hotpoint Fridge/freezer model EXFM171S
Bought in May 2014. Has run apparently efficiently until couple of days ago. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, a very loud noise like the sound of a 2-stroke small motorcycle starting up began. It continued for well over an hour during which time it sounded exactly as though a fan was rotating at very high speed and at the same time hitting against a flimsy metal casing. It was as though a high-speed fan had come adrift from something and was rotating against something else. It was late evening and we had to go to bed wondering if it was safe to leave making the awful noise.
Next morning it was quiet and has not made the noise since. I have put a minimum/maximum thermometer in both the fridge and freezer compartments and they are maintaining correct temperatures and the appliance is now quiet --- and MUCH quieter than it ever has been since being delivered. I can hear when the electric motors come into action but other than that there is no other noise, BUT there seems to be a sound missing that was there before it went made like a motor cycle.
Have you any idea what can have gone wrong and what should I do about it? Although it is still under guarantee HOTPOINT have said (on the phone) that unless it is still making the terrible noise an engineer won't be able to say what is wrong and we will be charged for the call-out. !!
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

You have two fans in this appliance on inside that circulates the cool air and depending upon version another close to the compressor. What is likely has happened is that the internal back panel has frozen up and on start up the fan was catching on a piece of ice. Once this was cleared it became quiet again. You need to fully defrost the appliance which will entail switching it off and leaving the door open for 24 hours with towels across the front to soak up the defrosting water. Once you have done this the appliance should work fine ~ Ian

Customer:

Many thanks for this information. Your advice will be followed and then - fingers crossed for no repeat !! Well worth £20 !!!