Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

The pressure on my back combined platinum 33 is too high how

Customer Question

The pressure on my back combined platinum 33 is too high how do I reduce it please?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 3 years ago.
Customer:

Hi . on your radiators is the bleed valve at one end. Open one of these and have a towel and small pot . open the bleed valve ( with a radiator key) and release water till the pressure drops to about 1.2 bar.

Customer:

Be sure not to open the valve fully but just a half turn till the water starts coming out

JACUSTOMER-pojqvsla- :

OK thank you will find the radiator key now.

Customer:

Your welcome

JACUSTOMER-pojqvsla- :

Is the high pressure the reason for the overflow outside to be dripping a lot too?

Customer:

Yes. There is areas on for this. Inside the boiler is a pressure vessel . like a small metal tank with a ball on inside. This is to take up the expanded heated water. If the vessel goes flat ( should be at. 1,5 bar ) or it has torn . the water instead of expanding into this vessel has nothing to do except pressurise too high . the pressure gauge then goes up to 3 bar ( settingvforvthe safety valve) and releases this pressure, with the water out of the safety to out side. It then becomes a circle , of refilling , over pressurising , dumping and so on. The thing to do is check the pressure of the expansion vessel ( I use a car tyre gauge) to check its right . but also once the safety valves have opened, sometimes they never seal back up properly ( due to gunk ) and will need replacing .

JACUSTOMER-pojqvsla- :

Thank you so much I will do the radiator bleeding and then get a local boiler firm in to check if the safety valves need replacing.

Your welcome .