Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

Potterton combi boiler need to reset TRIP? how?

Had an engineer come out to fix my Potterton boiler as it had a E133 code flashing: no hot water, no heat. I told him it was a fault with the gas supply per the booklet. He ignored me and replaced the PCB board and other parts in the boiler. Still no joy. He left and I called British Gas who sent out National grid who came out and replaced the hose on the gas meter as it had failed. The boiler now works to give hot water, but won't always work to give heat. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The colder it gets the less it comes on and last two (cold) days won't come on at all no matter how much I reset it off the control panel. It seems the signal from the thermostat isn't kicking in to turn on the heating. I read to push the TRIP button but I don't know what that looks like or what to do exactly. I want to try that and see if the problem resolves before calling out another engineer. I have a Promax Combi HE Plus

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Customer:

Do you have the model of your room thermostat? Please

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

T4RF Wireless system, UT2 Single channel timeswitch,

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

thermostat shows sending signal. light green on sensor by boiler, not flashing though

Customer:

Hi . I think what happened was that when the British gas guy turned off the power , your thermostat lost contact with the recieved box . there is a process to reconnect the two . if you give me a minute I will try to find them instruction , thanks

Customer:

Ok . does your recieved look like the box on the right in this photo?

Customer:

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

yes, I have both of these

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

light is green on box on the right,

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

no red light flashing though

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

but mine is WR1 British Gas (looks exactly the same)

Customer:

Yes,they are the same.. Ok would you like to go through the reconnection process?. I may be a bit slow as I am switching back and forth between web pages

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

According to the info I have, if I pull out the battery on the thermostat, hold the set button, it is supposed to show rF. Mine stays blank until I release and then it is just the normal display of the temp and sending signal. Heating comes on once a day, won't come on on-demand, and won't come on on set times. It comes on for the first time set but not the other two.

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

take your time. I'm just telling you what I have tried. Thanks

Customer:

Ok. I have a little different

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

red light doesn't flash. Green light is supposed to flash every 4 seconds or something like that. Doesn't flash at all ever. The red light will flash when turned off at the mains and when override/learn buttons are pushed. Then just solid green. I hate this wireless thing. It's never warm enough in my house (just saying). Now, I'll stop and wait for you. Sorry

Customer:

Turn power off to reciever. Pull out batteries on room stat transmitter

Customer:

Leave off for at least 5seconds

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

ok have turned off electricity to WR1 and pulled out batteries from thermostat

Customer:

Leaving room stat off , turn power to receiver back on , there should be a red light on the reciever box.

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

yup

Customer:

Ok . to check the reciever is wired up right press the override button once.the boiler should fire and come on

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

nothing happens. if I press learn/override green button comes on, red is solid red, not flashing, boiler doesn't spark (but I never noticed in 6 years it did that)

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

boiler is downstairs and I am fat and old so takes me awhile to go up and down from boiler to computer, sorry

Customer:

Ok . the boiler should come on . is the programmer on for heating? If not put it on and repeat the process . I don't mind waiting , I'm in all day today

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

Yes, it's on for heating. I have this same stupid problem every year convincing it to start up, but I've never had it where it only comes on when it wants and not when it's programmed. Once I get it going (last 5 years) it will come on when I set it to steady on. I'll go down and try this all again to be sure I have done it in the right sequence. Two minutes...

Customer:

Hi . just reread what you wrote . are you saying that tyhecheating does come on once? A day

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

ok. when I turned it off at the wall and turned it back on the boiler fires. pressing the override doesn't do anything. my husband said it was on early this morning and the radiators were hot. it probably was as it seems to come on on the first setting at 4:30 am. Problem is once it goes off, it stays off and won't come back on for the other two timinigs. Also, I don't think it is coming on at 4:30am unless I've done all this reset stuff at bedtime. I have set the timer to be on for 24 hours when it comes on at 4:30 am. Husband said radiators were hot this morning but they are cold now and it won't come on at all. So I think when I reset it, it is convinced to come on once, to a certain point, then stops and does nothing. I reset it, it comes on at 4:30am only. Not when I reset it.

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

by the way, the battery case is till out of the thermostat. I think the guy who replaced the pcb either gave me a dodgy board (was supposed to be new) or didn't wire it up right

Customer:

Hi .can you try to hold down button 1, keep depressed , then hold down button 2 keeping it depressed.the red light should flash a couple of times and then go out. The lights should be on .then put batteries back into the room stat( if you can take it to the reciever that would be better) . the reciever should flash seven times , this confirms the two are linked

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

Ok I understand what you are saying and I have tried this repeatedly. The red light won't flash even though the thermostat shows sending a signal. And the green light is supposed to flash every 4 seconds or so and it isn't flashing at all (have this problem every year, not this bad though). I'll go down now and try what you said. I can't take the room stat to the receiver unless I unscrew it. Should I do that? Just unscrew it to remove it from the wall and carry it in? I have tools and I know how to use them. Waiting if you want me to remove thermostat from wall before I go down.

Customer:

Yes just unscrew it

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

ok here I go

Customer:

Ok

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

ok. red light flashed repeatedly, green light came on, red light went off, green light on solid green. boiler not coming on

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

the green light is supposed to flash every so often after restart and it isn't flashing like that, just stays soild green

Customer:

Ok . so your heating is on at the programmer , on at vthe room stat ? But not firing boiler?

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

yes

Customer:

Ok . we can wire the reciever wiring to bypass the room thermostat, to give heating . this will confirm the boiler is working ok . do you think you or your husband would feel ok to do this?

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

I can do anything like this as long as I don't electrocute myself

Customer:

No , safe working is essential . turning off the power whilst rewiring.

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

I am sure the boiler is ok. I wonder if the pcb wasn't connected right when the guy installed it as it does work sometimes.

Customer:

I think the fault may lie with the wireless room stat and or reciever. If we wire these out and bypass them this will confirm that the boiler is working ok for heating

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

i would like to bypass the room thermostat though. i hate that stupid thing. i just want heat to come on when the timer is on and when i set it to constant on.

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

so this would be good. is it very difficult though?

Customer:

You would need a flat head srewdriver

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

got it, got several, got lots of tools

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

im putting this on my mobile now so i can read it as i'm doing it downstairs

Customer:

Ok . turn power off to the heating system , vpconfirm all the lights are off , then remove the front panel off cthe reciever

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : How do I get receiver cover off
Customer:

Should be a small screw somewhere, maybe underneath

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : Not started off well have I? Ha. Don't want to break it
Customer:

That's ok , take your time

Customer:

Him. It may not be a screw but clips that need pressing in

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : Two screws one done
Customer:

Ok

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : off
Customer:

Ok .so you can see the wires?is there a connector block? And are the connections labeled , is numbers or letters or both?

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : from left to right N L 1 2 3 4
JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : No wires in 2 and 4 yellow wires to a screw below these on the lower right
Customer:

Ok. Give me a couple of mins , please

Customer:

Do you have a brown wire in what connection and a blue in what connection?

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : 2 blue in N. 2 brown in L. Grey in 1. Black in 3
JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : On back of box says 1 is C. 2 is SAT. 3 is CALL
Customer:

Ok. Remember where the original wiring is . take a photo or write this down . then take out wire from c and put it in to call

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : Theres already a wire on call connector. A black wire.
JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : I took a pix
Customer:

Ok

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : Should I put grey wire from 1 c on 3 call withblack wire so two on one
Customer:

Hi , sorry can you give me2 mins?

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : Sure
Customer:

Yes , sorry that's right. Grey into same as black in 3

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : Having a bit of trouble unscrewing black screw bear with me I'm working on it
Customer:

That's ok . sometimes it helps to push on the srcew as you turn it

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : Do I need to put the screw back in now to c
Customer:

Yes, it will keep it safe there if needed later

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- : Ok can't get screw back in with two wires in. Will keep working on it what do I do after this so I can do it
Customer:

Ok . once the screw is in ,tighten , replace reciever cover , turn on the power and the heating should come on .if it doesn't come back to me .

Customer:

Hi , Will be offline for a couple of hours , back vasap

JACUSTOMER-oe0h9xjc- :

working great. thanks for your help

Customer:

Your welcome , but you did the work , well done

Customer:

Hi . would you mind rating me , thanks.

Customer :

I want to give you extra pay for working with me because it took so long. can I do the extra help for £15 by phone, but we don't need to talk. You deserve extra and I want to pay you extra.

Customer :

and yes I will rate you excellent don't worry

Customer:

That's ok , you were great , all the best , Toby

Customer :

ok. many thanks. you were great. I just did what you told me. have a great night. (wish you'd take the extra pay though. you saved me a bundle helping me do it myself)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Timer working great but I still think the trip needs to be reset maybe. The boiler is humming very loudly when it has been on for awhile. I'm not running it for more than 1.5 hours 3 times a day and this morning it still started to hum so I have to turn it off. It's like it's not set right since the motherboard and other bits were replaced. It just seems to heat up too much and too fast. It's only set on 56 f degrees but I'd like it warmer. But I'm afraid it's going to blow up it's that loud. Sounds like a washing machine in the spin cycle (and yes my washer was off). Any ideas'? I think pushing the trip button would help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Don't really know how just answer works entirely but if they are going to charge me again or charge you sgdin for helping me a week later don't reply. I will get help later if I need it. I don't want to waste your time or cost either of us any money. Thanks. Teresa

Hi . don't worry , I have never known a boiler to blow up . you are very safe as they have too many safety features to never allow that to happen.reset won't make any difference . it may be that now you have totally focused on the sound your boiler makes, it seems loud but is probably just the pump and fan . if you want it warmer turn the boiler stat to max...can you let me know if you got this last , thanks

If you are really worried , get another boiler engineer who has been recommended by family, friends who they have used more than once

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Sorry I shouldn't have asked. I didn't know it would cost me. I can't afford another payment. I apologise for wasting your time. I appreciate your advice. I'm sorry.