Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

Hi I have 3x Digistat 3 controllers on the underfloor heating

Customer Question

Hi I have 3x Digistat 3 controllers on the underfloor heating in my annex. One insists on coming on in the middle of the night although it is set to a 10degree temp and is always on the night program. I have checked all 5+2 and the 7 individual settings but I suspect it is faulty. A. Is there a direct replacement? And B. How do I tell if it is Mains or Battery powered? It does have a battery (AA) which I thought was just a program memory keeper should power fail?
Grateful for your help.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi . yes there is a replacement and if you take the digistat off the wall ( unscrew it) then there should be no wires connected to it . that confirms its wireless

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

Sorry, not the questions I asked. I know it is wired, not wireless. Is there anything I can do to check it is faulty, and is it Mains Powered or Battery Powered?

Customer:

It will be mains powered. Whether you can check if its faulty. If you turn the faulty one up high does it turn on and you get heat?

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

Yes, and although it is set on night at 10, when it comes on showing 20, if you turn it down 1 degree it goes off!

Customer:

Hi . what temperature is it set at to come on? Normally

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

As it is a small annex the main room heating keeps the whole place around 20, but mother-in-law prefers bedroom cooler, so we leave that one on Night setting at 10 degrees permanently.

Customer:

Ok . do you think that the temperature may be dropping to 10 degrees or below and the stats switching on?

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

Definitely not! She has checked all 3 when woken up and only the bedroom stat is on but all show about 20 degrees. The night setting for all is 10 and the lounge one is the only one on timer.

Customer:

Ok . it must have developed a fault. This can be replaced by the Honeywell cm927 a far better stat

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

Ok Thanks, ***** ***** be a simple one for one change? I have the user leaflet for the 3 but it does not have an install instruction or connection details for the wiring. The installer (10 years ago!) did not leave the install instructions!

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

Don't worry, I have just found the Digistat 3 install instructions on line.

Customer:

Yes it will be a straight swop

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

Just had a look at the Cm927 and it says it is wireless? Does it have wired connections too?

Customer:

Yes

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

I have just looked at the instructions and that kit would mean the relay box connected to the existing cables and the programmer somewhere separate. For a small bedroom, that seems a bit much. Is there an all in one box similar that we could wall mount as a direct replace?

Customer:

Would you replace like for like?

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

I think it would be easier if it was a simple wall mount, if it is wireless and 2 piece, it will just confuse (me!) and Mum-in-law!

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

I have seen the CM907 on the Honeywell site which seems to be similar but wall mounted??

Customer:

Sure, if you get the same one it would be easier

Customer:

Cm907 can be wall mounted

JACUSTOMER-mhchedsu- :

OK Thanks, ***** ***** at the wiring options, and changes between Drayton and Honeywell, I think I would prefer a proper plumber/heating guy to do the job. I had hoped it would be simple enough for me to do but not sure now! :-( Thaks for your help.

Customer:

Your welcome

Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced