Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

Potterton boiler fail to establish flame only on central h

Customer Question

Potterton boiler fail to establish flame only on central heating, please help asap... The boiler does not go to fault just keeps igniting for about ten times the works fine

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
***** ***** : Do you haver the make and model?
JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

Potterton performa 24

JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

There a video on u tube and it shows exactly what the boiler is doin but not hundred percent on how to fix it

***** ***** : ok, can you send me the link?
JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

Potterton Performa 24 Boiler fail to establish fl…: http://youtu.be/Vyu7Qu6EbFc

***** ***** : Ok, its lit, but does not know it is lit
***** ***** : It may just be dirty electrodes
***** ***** : Try cleaning with scotchbrite and seeing if it improves
***** ***** : Try removing the ignition lead both end and cleaning and putting back together
***** ***** : If the lead goes back to the PCB then it could be a PCB fault
***** ***** : If the lead goes back via the condense trap it may need cleaning
JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

I have done all over the above,, it very strange because the hot water works perfectly fine

JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

It must b something quite simple because if your read the comment that the gy on the u tube video he says he didn't change any parts

JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

The boiler is not a condensing boiler

***** ***** : Just looking around at different sites as I have not come across this before where it only affects the heating and not the hot water
***** ***** : Do you have the GC number to narrow it down please, it could still be an HE model with a condense
***** ***** : *without
JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

I no it is unusually I have looked every where to find a answer.. I'll get the number now

JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

Potterton Performa 24 G.C.No47 393 06

***** ***** : https://www.heatingspares247.com/download/Boiler_Manuals/Potterton/Performa_24_Installation_and_Servicing_Instructions.pdf
JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

Does this link tell me how to solve the problem or is it just the manual

***** ***** : Even page 41 says about the electrode, I do not understand what the problem is - perhaps worth changing the probe due to the price
JACUSTOMER-xmw3941s- :

Ok thanks but it does not solve the problem

***** ***** : Agreed, but surely no need for a 'poor' rating?
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Gas cooker specialist
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi . give me a few mins to look up the manual
Hi . if its failng on heating then it will be the cheating flow switch . also called the hydraulic differential pressure switch
Is yours doing exactly the same as the video?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes exactly the same

As your hot water works fine this proves that nearly all of the boiler parts are working fine. The only difference on thgevheating side will be the heating flow switch, which must have developed a fault
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It goes on and off about 10 times then she works fine,, its as if the flame isint being detected straight away.. Did u read the comment on the video

The h0t water and heating use the same flame detection probe so if it was the probe it would be doing the same for hot water, this indicates a component only used for heating . either the heating flow sensor differential , the heating temperature sensor/ thermistor or the PCB . the first two are the cheapest to change. The first two can be tested with a multimeter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could it just be the flow sensor filter blocked up.. The temperature sensor works with hot water to doesn't it?? And I really don't think its the PCB bored as it does work perfectly fine eventually... I really appritiate your help hear

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its very strange cause the boiler does not go to fault or any thing

All these boilers havevthgere own quirks. But as its not going to fault it may be thinking its a normal process , ie temp stat turning off boiler control
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are a bloody pain when the fault isint a simple one I wish I didn't get involved,, the woman also sed that the previous gas fitter change the gas valve and this problem has only happened sense then she used that was a year ago

Intermittent faults are a nightmare. British gas now say they cwont donanything till the part finally goes completely.
If you have a multimeter you can test vthe temp sensors on ohms or swop the hot water one with the heating one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have my multimeter, I'm going back to the job tomorrow now, are you going to b available if I have more questions,,

Yes, that's no problem ,but not between 12 and 4.30.