Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hi Guys. My Samsung RS21DCNS has stopped dispensing water.

Customer Question

Hi Guys. My Samsung RS21DCNS has stopped dispensing water. It's plumbed into the mains and I've checked the feed and it's fine. I checked the filter and water flows through this also. I can hear the pump trying to deliver but nothing is coming out. Any ideas? Mark.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 3 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK when you press the water lever can you hear any sounds ~ have you recently changed the water filter?

Dales-Electronic :

The sound you should hear is a gentle buzzing coming from the back

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Yep, that's what I hear.

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Water pump was changed recently also.

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Sorry, FILTER.

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me explain how it all works, there is no pump, water comes into the appliance at the back via a two way water valve. This valve is controlled by the levers in the dispenser area, you press a lever and depending upon which the following happens ~ if you press the water lever, then power is supplied to the valve and water flows by mains water pressure through a cooling matrix in the fridge, then back out of the fridge and then under the cabinet where it is fed up inside the door and up to the dispenser. Now what you have to do is see how far the water is getting ~ firstly get a towel and remove the bottom kick strip just a couple of screws. When you get that done I will take you to the next stage ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Kick strip off!

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you shine a torch into this area you will see where the water pipe is joined before it goes up inside the door. Towels to hand disconnect the pipe at the joint, just push in the connector and the pipe should slide out, its a push fit, once this is done put the towel down near the end coming from the fridge and gently press the water lever in the door tell me if water gushes out of the pipe ?

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

OK Ian. Done that, no water coming thru.

Dales-Electronic :

OK reconnect the pipe first and put the kick strip back on ~ are you any good with a multimeter?

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Don't even know what one is! Back in one min..................

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

OK..............what do I do now mate?

Dales-Electronic :

OK lets work it from the supply pipe thro now we know there is no water coming thro, so back to the water tap water off at the wall and check that you have water going to the back of the appliance ~ I have sent you a contact number to call me on and perhaps I can better talk you thro it over the phone

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

I will do Ian. Trouble is, the company want to charge me an extra 4 quid to chat to you....already paying 20. Hope you understand. Back in a min............................

Dales-Electronic :

OK understand, the problem is you might run out of time but once you establish you have water going to the screw connector at the back of the appliance we can take it further

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Water is definitely going to the back of the fridge.

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Didn't realise we were on limited time.

Dales-Electronic :

OK we will see how we get on ~ You are sure that when you push the water lever you can hear the valve being energised ie buzzing?

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

yep.

Dales-Electronic :

The valve is the item that the water supply pipe screws onto ~ OK have you had any water out of the appliance since you changed the filter?

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

is it possible the line inside has frozen up?

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Yes, it's only just stopped dispensing.

Dales-Electronic :

No the chilled water does not go below freezing. Take off the back panel and you will see the double valve on the right hand side, unscrew its holder and GENTLY withdraw it out so that you can see the two waty

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

OK, done.

Dales-Electronic :

The one to the chilled water goes underneath the one to the icemaker goes up the back, unscrew the one going underneath towards the fridge side towel to hand

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Done.

Dales-Electronic :

You got someone who can push the lever whilst your around the back?

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Yes. I have dissconnected mains supply to the valve......shall I reconnect it?

Dales-Electronic :

Yes it is not the mains I need disconnecting Mark, I need to check that you are actually getting water going thro the valve itself so need the power connected but the white water pipe taking off the valve on the chilled water side

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

OK, one min.............

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Done. Can hear it buzzing, but no water going thru valve.

Dales-Electronic :

OK Eureka ~ the fault is with the water supply valve, you can get one of those from most suppliers but you must have the full model number and serial number as there are hundreds of versions of the R21 hang on and I'll see if I can get you the part number two secs

Dales-Electronic :

OK this one should do you Samsung part number DA7440149C ~ dare I say it but job well done, abit of a trial for you but rather impressive in extra time. Hope I have been of service and would be grateful if you could rate my information/help so I can close the job down. See you next time around and take care ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-qtx4bd7y- :

Couldn't have done it without you Ian. Seems like an easy fix. Thanks very much. Best, Mark.

Dales-Electronic :

No worries mate, always fun to walk thro with someone who isn't afraid to have a go.