Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an American style side by side Hotpoint MSZ 801. Every

I have an American style side by side Hotpoint MSZ 801. Every now and then it makes a loud ticking noise which stops when I open the fridge door. If it happens when the freezer door is open the light flashes off and on. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Does the noise seem to be comming from the back of the appliance?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think so - It's hard to say for definite. I just opened the freezer door and it started, but lasted only for around 30 seconds before it stopped

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok its more then likey the rear control board. As this appliance is actually made by Whirlpool for Hotpoint.
And on these they have a problem with the boards and the relays chattering which is what its more likely doing.

Now if you are handy at electronics and soldering you need to remove the back panel and remove the board on the far right.
From there you need to replace all the capacitors on there as its down to a weak capacitor that causes this.

But other then that you will need to replace the control board itself and that will cure it here. Ive seen this fault a lot on these and its always the control board that causes this fault here.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many Thanks - at least I know what I'm up against. It seems to be working okay for now. Do you think it is something that needs sorting out quite quickly?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
To be honest ive seen them last for a while like this so its hard to say how long it will last.