Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Good evening. I have a Fagor innovation 5 ring induction hob

Good evening. I have a Fagor innovation 5 ring induction hob ref IF-900s. The large right hand ring has failed. When you turn off the power at the mains and switch it on, it bleeps until you press the power key to the ring. When you press the control keys for the ring they bleep but nothing happens. Can you help?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Customer: Noted thanks.
Dales-Electronic :

Can you tell the serial number of the appliance please, you may have to get under the hob to spot it

Customer: I have a sticker which has been left in the instruction manual - hopefully this is the correct number: 09-06-00383. Also on that sticker I have service reference and type. Let me know if this is any use
Dales-Electronic :

OK hang on I'll just get hold of the manual

Dales-Electronic :

Can you recheck this model number and advise if there are any numbers after the s as there are a number of versions. thanks

Customer: Understood. Can you tell me are you familiar with these appliances - make and type?
Dales-Electronic :

Yes ~ they are difficult to diagnose problems with because other than checking for power at various places there is no visible heat source. Fagor as you are aware has gone into liquidation but spares are still available. The biggest problem with these is that Fagor/Brandt/DeDeitch (all the same group) changed the components at various stages and modified the design ~ for instance Your version had at least 3 variants if not more. From what I can see the likely problems with yours will be either a hotplate assembly or the power board that supplies it. Hotplate is still available depending on version power board may be ~ Ian

Customer: Morning Ian. There is a service number which is IF-900S2. Does that help? Graham
Customer: It was purchased in October 2009,.
Dales-Electronic :

Yes that is fine ~ leave it with me for a while and I will see what is available and I will come back to you later in the day and advise where you can get required parts from ~ Ian

Customer: Ok thanks. Will you advise also if there's any diagnostic process to try and identify which part it is?
Dales-Electronic :

Yes I will look into this for you too

Dales-Electronic :

OK I have the information for you when you are around and I will go into chat mode for you ~ Ian

Customer: Hi Ian.yes I'm on line now.
Dales-Electronic :

Sorry was answering another question ~ do you understand how a induction hob works firstly?

Customer: I think so, but I'm happy to be educated.....
Customer: I understand the principle of magnetic flux and the transfer of energy through heat. Beneath the surface is a coill which generates a magnetic field when electrified?
Dales-Electronic :

OK power is fed into the bottom of the hob where it goes to either one or two power boards, these boards control all the high voltage switching that is required by the inductions hobs. They are basically a number of relays controlled by the keyboard. Once power is supplied to the hotplate (ring) and pan sensor checks that a metallic ie iron based pan is located above a magnetic field is generated within the pan area. This magnetic field causes the molecules in the food to move around generating heat. ~ so a couple of points, if the pan is not large enough or of a non magnetic material then the pan sensor cuts off the hotplate. Working on the principle that you are aware of the latter pan requirements then you have either a faulty power board, keyboard or pan sensor. Now we have four hotplates that work the likelihood that either the keyboard or power boards is very small. This only leaves the hotplate which has an integral pan sensor. My suggestion is that this hotplate is faulty and should be changed. Having checked there is no way of checking a faulty hotplate nor with Fagor are there fault codes that are very reliable nor is there a test procedure available. The hotplate is available from a company called Connect Distribution part number 5045175137361 Induction Ring Hotplate there sales number is *****(###) ###-####and will cost you about £50. You may get transferred to their online service once you get through but at this time they have them in stock. I hope I have been of help to you here, if so kindly rate my service. You can continue to ask further questions a no charge once this has been done ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Sorry for the typos I must get a new keyboard

Customer: Ian understood. I will rate your service as positive, just one quick question before I go off please - there are no lights on at the hob in question, whilst it does bleep when you press the buttons. Would that indicate one or other of the potential faults? I recall when we wired this that there is a separate feed for this hob a the rating is so high, so the others probably work in isolation anyway.
Dales-Electronic :

Yes they use a fair amount of energy, if you still have this problem after sorting out the wring, I would suggest you have a keyboard fault but if it was me I would change the ring first, keyboards are also available and quite cheap. If you need further assistance with the partnumber give me a ping on here ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.