Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hello There is ice forming at the freezer base of our LG

There is ice forming at the freezer base of our LG GR419BSGE Fridge Freezer and this is seeping out on to the floor. I would appreciate any advice on this. We have just unplugged the appliance and am cleaning it out but the problem did not go away the last time we cleaned it.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Dermot
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Customer:

Hi there

Customer:

My name is Dermot

Customer:

Do I just wait for an answer ?

Dales-Electronic :

No I am here, you have got a problem with the defrosting function of the appliance. you should be able to remove the freezer draws and when the appliance is fully defrosted take off the back inside panel and see if the drain hole at the bottom is clear of debris. If not come back to me and I will take you to the next step, if it is blocked unblock it and put everything back together. Be very careful, it can take up to two days for the ice behind this cover to defrost so don't try and force the cover off as you likely will split it ~ Ian

Customer:

Thank you for now. Will try that

Dales-Electronic :

OK come back to me when you are finished, if you are happy with the information supplied so far please rate my service, this does not stop you coming back to me and has no extra cost ~ Ian

Customer:

at it now

Dales-Electronic :

Dermot, heading off to do some work be back in about an hour ~ Ian

Customer:

a ok. talk later

Customer:

Back inside panel not moving. Using hairdryer to accelerate ice melting behind it. There are just two screws that I took out. No other hidden screws I presume

Dales-Electronic :

Be very careful with the hair dryer, if you get it too close to the plastic you will melt the cover ~ it sounds like the back is frozen up which would explain why the drain hole has been frozen up and overflowing into the base.

Customer:

Hello Ian,

Customer:

At last got the back panel off and all ice has melted. There is a small inlet (hole) to the left at the base (fit small finger into it) with some ice in it. Is that the inlet valve ? Everything else appears to be wires and tubes etc.

Customer:

I mean the drain hole rather than the inlet valve Ian

Customer:

There is a lot of water along the base that I have now soaked up with towel

Dales-Electronic :

Yes you have got it, that is the drain hole, get a kettle of hot water and gently pour it down this hole until it is clear. Once done you can put it all back together making sure to connect everything in reverse of disassembly and you should be ok. Quiet often if the door gets left open by accident the defrost system gets overwhelmed and cant get rid of all the water before the appliance starts up and freezes the drain hole. Well done this is not a repair to carry out if you have a short fuse !! Once you are up and running could you take the time to rate my service so I can get the job shut down on the system. Ian

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much Ian for your help. I will certainly use this service again .in the future.