George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Model # ***** FRIDGE FREEZER noticed this morning freezer

Customer Question

Model # ***** FRIDGE FREEZER
noticed this morning freezer had stopped working, but it has probably been like this for a couple of days. We used to get a big build up of ice on the bottom. Noticed quite a bit of water outside a couple of months back. Didn't thing anything of it, as I regularly have to break the ice inside the freezer.
Fridge compartment still cold, but not as it usually is. Butter is going soft!!
Some sort of whirring noise, and also sounds like running water, but no spillages.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts : Hello, my name is George.. Kindly be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.
George-Allsorts : turn the appliance off to defrost it... Then when defrosted turn it back on again.. The appliance may have a gas issue that will also need sorting
JACUSTOMER-pa2nqz3a- : OK George, but it appears to have defrosted already! All the food has thawed, ice cubes now water, etc.
George-Allsorts : If there is any ice left that will also need defrosting
JACUSTOMER-pa2nqz3a- : No none at all. When I noticed it this morning, it was all defrosted. It used to have a heavy build-up which I had to break up/scrape out from the bottom every couple of months.
George-Allsorts : Before switching it back on, can you check all surfaces for anywhere that gas could
George-Allsorts : escape from...
George-Allsorts : switch on and let me know how it is in the morning
JACUSTOMER-pa2nqz3a- : How would I do that George sorry? By checking the back?
JACUSTOMER-pa2nqz3a- : It is still on. We hadn't turned it off.
George-Allsorts : All areas where you had to scrape ice from
JACUSTOMER-pa2nqz3a- : Lights are working, noises being made when it's on, just not cold.
George-Allsorts : Then the running water sound indicates that your system is short on refrigerant and will therefore need regassing
George-Allsorts : if you can wait until morning, I can send you a link to find a local engineer to read the system
JACUSTOMER-pa2nqz3a- : Thanks. No rush. We rent anyway, just trying to save our landlord the problem.
JACUSTOMER-pa2nqz3a- : can't see anywhere the gas could escape from, nothing obvious. A few scrapes, but no punctures.
JACUSTOMER-pa2nqz3a- : Happy to wait til tomorrow
George-Allsorts : Can I ask you at this point to take the time to rate my assistance to you.. Please remember, you are rating me Andy help to you and nothing else.. It will close the chat but you can come back at any time to ask for more help
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Here is the link I promised you last evening to an appliance technician by using Find An Engineer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks George - much appreciated
You're very welcome