Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hi The top oven of my Belling XOU90G doesn't work but the

Customer Question

The top oven of my Belling XOU90G doesn't work but the grill part does.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am Tech Michael, I am sorry to hear that.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and I want to guide you the best way possible to save you money and time;-)
Please remember these are technical issues and may require some back and forth conversation to sort this out.
Is yours the gas or electric model?
Also how old is the oven?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

Its gas.

The ignitor is working and I have tried lighting it with a lighter but there isn't any gas getting through.

The grill works and is off the same valve but turned the opposite way to the oven.

Hope the above helps.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jon, yes it helps.
When was the last time the unit was professionally cleaned?
It should be done once a year.
In this case a good cleaning will help as well as a possible faulty igniter or thermocouple which is a safety device.
In this case I would really have a gas tech look at this because it may really simply need a good internal cleaning, you would save a lot of money that way.
I will stick with you until this is fixed, please don't forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you and have a great day Jon!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

The bottom oven is used every day and has never been professionally cleaned but still works as good as the day we got it.

The top oven was used on a less frequent basis and stopped working about 4 months ago.

The igniter works fine and as I stated, I have tried lighting it with a lighter but there isn't any gas coming through.

I took it that the thermocouple was a safety device to turn off the gas if it didn't light therefore not warming the thermocouple up, but the gas should get through and ignite 1st?

Would the thermocouple being faulty stop the gas coming through?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jon without a doubt the thermocouple would do that. But really in this case I would just have it cleaned by a tech because that will also cause this and considering it really does need a cleaning I would have them come and do that;-)