Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an 8 year old Hotpoint, Future, Frost free, FZA84 upright

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old Hotpoint, Future, Frost free, FZA84 upright freezer. I noticed that frozen items at the front of the drawer are starting to get a little soft. The yellow light is on showing that it has power. I have turned the setting up to its maximum. I have tried the fast freeze function, but the soft items are still not freezing. I have not delved deep into the drawers to see if other stuff is getting soft. Is there anything else to try? Does the fault sound fatal?
Paul
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

First things first, can you get your frozen stuff put into somewhere else such as a neighbours freezer or spare unit?

JACUSTOMER-hu4qlkbh- :

Not sure yet as we haven't enquired. Bit awkward as people don't normally live with a freezer with that much free space. Bit negative response. Sorry

JACUSTOMER-hu4qlkbh- :

I am texting someone now, but if I have saved my food is there anything that I can check or re-set or are we talking about a new freezer?

Dales-Electronic :

Hold on a second just checking the specifications right now

Dales-Electronic :

OK here we go, the biggest problem with these is that they have a habit of freezing up at the back. The system works by having a cold plate called an evaporator in the back in front of which is a circulating fan. The circulating fan picks up the air at the lower back panel area circulates it over the evaporator and back out at the top of the back panel. If this area gets frozen up with ice then you get no cooling and everything defrosts out. No amount of messing with the controls will improve matters. First thing to do here is get the food stored elsewhere and fully defrost the unit, power off door open with towels across the front and leave it for at least 48 hours. Once this total defrost is carried out, reconnect and try it without food in and see if all is now in order. If you still have the same problem come back to me and we can start getting technical ~ I am going to switch this conversation over to question and answer mode which stops your time from being used up and allows you to ask further questions later if needed. In the meantime could I ask you to rate my service so far using the smiley faces below. You will see the format changes slightly but I will be here to help you at no extra cost when you are ready if needed to go to the next stage. Ian

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
OK good luck with the defrosting, once you have sorted this out come back to me and advise how you got on. Have fun ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Expensive food saved (still frozen). Minor stuff disposed of or being cooked. Power off at the wall. Waterproof floor covering in place. According to your advice I will turn it back on Thursday evening about 7. ok?

Yes that will be fine I'll be back from work by then just ping me and we can if needed carry on ~ Ian