Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My LG DVD recorder model RHT497H hardly responds to my remote

Customer Question

My LG DVD recorder model RHT497H hardly responds to my remote (new batteries). Sometimes after a long time, and often not at all. When copying from HDD to DVD it will start and then freeze after a short while. Any ideas, please?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am sorry to hear that. How old is your DVD machine?
Also when yo say it takes time to respond to a remote command, are constantly trying to press a button?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Machine around 5 years old. Does it need an upgrade? If so, how do I go about this? I certainly repeat pressing the button, but only after waiting at least 10 seconds. It never used to be slow.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Gordon,
do you have the user manual still?
Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I do

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Gordon, but anyway, this very well could be just in need of an upgrade.
Please visit this site for that information.
http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-RHT497H
I will be here if you need more help, and you also can call LG:
Call LG Support -
UK :
0344(###) ###-####
IE :
01(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help, but I'm not out of the woods yet. I tried to copy from HDD to DVD. All was well until half way through. Then the machine froze. It stopped copying. I could not get back to 'home'. The tray would not open. It just died. Pressing the stop button for 10 seconds resulted in the machine just acting as a monitor for the TV. It wouldn't do anything else. No response again. Any ideas, please?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Gordon have you tried unplugging the unit for an hour or so to see if it will reset?
Please let me know;-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Michael. The machine goes from bad to worse. I have isolated it from power for an hour as you suggest. I have done a factory reset. I have tried a software upgrade several times but it always stalls half way through. All this takes a lot of time as it can take up to ten minutes to respond to the 'home' button. It can revert to showing the current TV in the middle of any operation. Any more ideas, please?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Gordon,
I was afraid of that.
The problem is actually with the main control board. Where the main instructions are stored.
There is a failed memory location, thats why all we tried wont make the unit any better;-(
The unit would need to be serviced to have that part isolated and replaced.
Due to its age, its really not worth fixing because the cost for parts and labor would exceed the cost of a new unit.
I wish I had better news for you on that but even I, as a tech wouldn't put that much into it. Besides the newer units are less expensive and have more features;-)
I wish I had better news for you on this, but if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask me.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

Oh well, such is life. Thanks very much all the same.

Best Wishes, Gordon

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Have a great day;-)
Best of luck with your new machine!
Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
x