Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Miele 1022 Dishwasher Doesn't fill after drain Cycle new inlet

Miele 1022 Dishwasher Doesn't fill after drain Cycle new inlet valve fitted. filters clean.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK need to check a couple of things first, you have changed the inlet valve how/why did you think that was the problem? Kindly tell me what you see and hear happening when you set a program and start the appliance and do you have any lights flashing to indicate a fault situation? ~ Ian

Customer:

Thanks for replying. Ok here goes all the info.

Customer:

I am trying to fix this for a neighbour who cant afford the call outs miele are charging. They said it was sometimes not filling with water and over time sometimes it did other times it didnt. When i brought the machine to my house i connected it to where my washing machine normally goes to the cold inlet. This model has the inlet valve where you would connect to the water supply from the house. i checked the filters first which they had already cleaned. i then checked the non return valve in the tub which was a little dirty, i cleaned it and replaced it. i put the machine on a cycle and it worked foor a while probably 20 minutes or more (i opened the door mid cycle and it was hot soapy water as there was still a washing tablet in it) it stopped and the 3 cycle lights where flashing. I turned it off then tried it again. This time as they said it drained, you can hear it draining then it stops where it should start to fill silence for a second or 2 then it starts trying to drain again but keeps going as if stuck in drain mode and the three cycle lights flash. so no water coming in made me think it was the inlet valve and i bought one of ebay but i had to change the connection for the 2 wires to fit this machine. Seller guaranteed it was suitable for this model. It has made no difference. The salt light and rince aid light have also been on this whole time but i reconed this wouldnt stop water coming in. Today i googled some more (this is where i got the idea for the inlet valve) with no real luck, so i thought id take out the motor incase this was stuck but i was able to put my finger in and turn the wee propeller. Now i have put it all back together i went and bought dishwasher salt and rinse aid to rule this out as well for my own sanity. so now when i turn it on all lights are out apart from the start cycle one which flashes until i press it, starts to drain, stops, doesnt fill then goes back on to drain mode. My head is gone with it, starting to wish i had never tried to do a good turn as im now out the price of the inlet valve and still no luck. I really hope you can help. I am not very good with electrics (bit confusing) but i am usually quite handy with most things the tester i have is just one setting to see it there is a live circit.

Customer:

the tester is just one that if you touch the 2 ends it beeps

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Right forget about the chat ending bit, we are now in question and answer mode ~ will come back to you in the morning once I have had time to read thro the manual and point you in the correct direction ~ have you got a multimeter? ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no multi meter but if it helps i will buy one in the morning, im getting desperate here

Appreciate your position, leave the multimeter for the time we will see what we can achieve without it first ~ will take it nice and slow and hopefully get a result before you commit suicide !!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I really do appreciate it. I have a wee tester as i say but just to check for circuits, touch the ends and it beeps.

Yeah that will do for starters, speak to you in the morning ping on here when you're around and we can get started. I'm usually on here from about 8~30 onwards. CU tomorrow ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Thank You, ***** ***** you then.

Im around whenever you are ready Stevey
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Ian, whats your thoughts m8

OK let is start from scratch - the first couple of things that can cause this are a. If the fill hose has got a aquastop fitting at its end (usually a grey or black box right next to the screw connector that fits you water connector, b. the flood protection device has been activated (this is a float located in the base to measure if water leaks out of the wash area. Can you identify these parts>
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, i have all sides and bottom off, there was just a polystyrene disk that sat in the bottom panel, i read it when there is a leek it would float up and hit the wee switch,when i press the wee button on the switch it activates the drain pump. the butten is depressed at the minute as the bottom is off and button is out

OK you have got the float protection device sorted and working, have you now found the aquastop if so give it a good shake from side to side to release the vacuum lock and then connect it up to the water supply. Reconnect the electric and put the drain hose in a bucket
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the aqua stop is the part i replaced, it connects straight onto the water main supply yes? the stop is at the top end and the electrics are at the machine end i will go shake it now, would there still be a vacum lock on the new part

OK then you did not replace the inlet valve then just the aquastop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes the aqua stop, i thought this was the same thing as the inlet valve ?

No ? oh good are they 2 different parts. well just shook the aqua stop and put it back on.

There are two version, one uses the aquastop to monitor that there is no leakage of water between the water supply and machine ie a burst pipe, the other type uses the aquastop as an electronic water inlet valve. I will attach a picture of the listed one can you tell me if on changing this you connected it to a valve or whether it is connected directly to the sump of the washer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the new hose i put on just connects to a plastic thing which runs up the side of the machine, now i have looked the looks like a wee motor just up from where the hose is connected. the plastic thing i connected the hose to and runs up the side of the machine has like orange coloured stuff in it at the bottom. i guess this is part of the water softener. no water is getting in there. now you have mentioned it i take it one of them wee motor looking things would be the inlet controle valve. photos show from underneathe where my water line is going in and then a side view of the motors

Yep both are inlet control solenoids ~ lets go around the houses abit and come at this from another way, turn off the water and disconnect the water pipe at the dishwasher end of the aquastop but leave the electric cable connected. Make sure you can catch any lose water. Now start the machine taking care to catch water if any comes out of the end of the disconnected aquastop. We are trying to establish if the aquastop is faulty or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oh im getting excited here, i think you are going to help me lol. to get at this i have to have the machine tilted back will this matter to the water coming in, back in a mo going to try it anyway

No just make sure you don't let any water that escapes get into any of the electrics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok i disconected the water pipe, i didnt turn the water off though, i started the cycle it drained and then no water came from the hose. This is the new aqua stop i fitted ?

OK then this is you problem which you will have to spend a bit of time fault finding, either the supplied aquastop is faulty or alternatively the control pcb is not supplying power down the cable to active it. You will have to leave this with me and I'll see if I can find out what voltage you should be getting at the connector, in the meantime gently take out the front pcb, behind the facia and see if you can see any burn marks on the connectors or pcb. This may take alittle time as Miele are notorious at NOT giving out specific technical information. Will come back to you when I have it ~ Take a break ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, what is the pcb and where is the facia. do you mean inside the door panel? surely both aqua stops couldnt be faulty, the on i bought was new also, not used. Thanks

Unlikely but you had to change over the connectors if I remember right, now with Miele if this had been the case they normally supply a modification kit to do it as part of the package. I take it the supplied one didn't have this kit ~ have you still got the packet so that I can check that this is the correct one for this model, I have two different ones listed for that model. Secondly, yes the printed circuit board (pcb) control module is behind the facia panel inside the door assembly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no modification kit. i bought it from ebay £50.00. on the packet it came in, its from europart. other things on the packet label is RoHS COMPLIANT, and the part number i guess.. 68-HY-224

OK just checking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still trying to get at pcb it is well tucked away

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok pcb board looks fine no obvious burns or other damage, will i put this all back together or just wait for further instruction from you

OK I have just checked out the part number with Maddox Europart, the item that they have supplied you is for a Hygena & Smeg product and they don't list one for Miele. This perhaps is why we cant get it to work, firstly I would contact them and get a refund and I will source you another company who will be able to send you the correct part. Leave removal of the facia for the time until we can get the aquastop sorted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh i already have it pulled apart, and board taken out, They may not refund me as i had to change the connection, but the ebay seller told me i needed to do that? I will put the board back in and replace facia

I shouldn't worry about the connections, you followed their instructions, send it back with a not indicating it is the wrong one and say you want a refund ~ its not your fault that they gave out the wrong information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the guy i got the part from says it needs to be in the same condition i got it in even though he told me to change the connections. He also said it should work with the minor alterations lol. Feel like just giving up and cutting my losses

Who did you get it from specifically if I can I will help you as best as I can. Regarding the repair, it may bearing in mind that You will need to spend £138 to get an original part plus vat + carriage be a cheaper option to return it advising it is too expensive to repair. If you give me the sellers information I will see what I can do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its ok he is accepting the part back. yes Milie is charging £109 for the origional part.

I think i will take your advise and return the machine and tell them it cant be fixed. How can i insure you get paid for your assistance, i know we didnt find the problem but you have been as helpful as you could. I now dont think it is the aqua stop as the ebay seller is adement that they sell them for these machines all the time.

Once again Thanks for trying to help Ian

You can rate me by hitting one of the smiley faces at the bottom, this then allows the system to close down the job on the screen. I think you perhaps are correct that it is not the aquastop but if it isn't then it has to be the pcb as you have already discounted the flood protection device in the base. Don't get too despondent these Miele are not easy to fix for experienced engineers and I've been doing them for over 25 years. Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yea its seems thy are an awkward machine, the other expert who tried to help opted out after one question lol. I'm a bit disappointed as i really wanted to help this wee woman but hey sometimes it just doesn't work out this way. Once again Ian thanks for your time. Much appreciated and i did learn that the Aqua stop inst actually the inlet control valve lol.

No worries see you the next time around take care