Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Need to replace the control knob and related temperature ribbon

Customer Question

Need to replace the control knob and related temperature ribbon on Neff U1552N0GB/01 oven. Removed two screws underneath but there must be other fixings as the fascia will not release.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Good morning, always nice to start with a good one ~ power off, take the oven out of its slot. Take off the top cover that goes over the knobs and clock assembly and that gives you access to the temperature control and ribbon. Take careful note of the wires and their placement. Come back to me once this is completed.

I have moved you over to question & answer to save you having to spend more money on this question, if you could rate the information that I have given you so far I will forward you the illustrated diagram which will allow you to follow what instructions I am giving you in relation to the parts ~ Ian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I have to go out now. I will contact again if that doesn't work.

OK I attach the illustrated diagram for you to see where things go ~ would you now kindly rate my service to you on the smiley faces below, I am around if you have further questions, there is no further cost ~~ http://www.neff-eshop.com/eshop/neff/gb/prodp.htm?prod=U1552N0GB/01 ~~
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I see all of that and have had a look inside. Seems I need a star drive with a short crank to access the top screw which will release the unit from the backing plate. Will not proceed until I can access that screw. The wiring behind is too tight to allow safe removal and replacement - as far as I can see.

Just tell me are you trying to replace the thermostat or just the know a its connection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just the tape showing the temperature as it has snapped. From many posts on the internet this seems a common problem. Neff say they do not supply the tapes just the whole unit so it is an expensive item each time one breaks.

Oh OK, that is fine I remember doing one of these years ago, it was a nightmare so good luck ~ slow but sure and scream a lot ~ have fun.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK - I will try and locate or fashion a tool first and see how I go before spending £63 on the part. Cheers

Have you got the part number for it and I will see if it is available at a cheaper cost thro one of the distributors
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. I have been out. The part No is 00166202 for oven U1552N0GB/01

It is called Display Film Strip £69.83.

I am only around until 1 December at my current address but any items posted can be picked up.

N Crocker

Is that including vat and carriage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No - I haven't looked into that yet. As I am in Guernsey VAT will not be payable but sometimes the carriage is more - even though a small item like this does not cost any more to post from the UK.

I have moved to the pay option and the price has dropped to £58.19 plus carriage of £5. I haven't checked if they can send the part ex VAT.

I am away from computer until Sunday evening so sorry for any delay in carrying on the conversation.

OK I can get it for about £46 plus vat which one presumes you don't pay plus carriage. Guess there wont be much in it at the end
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the VAT is the clincher. I will probably order and then contemplate fixing it - or trying to find a local who may do it for me.

Thanks for the input.

Ok well you know where we are if you need a source for parts ~ now that ur session is over could you rate my service to allow the system to clear the job from the front page. You can of course come back at anytime and ask for further assistance at no extra cost. Take care and have a good day ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already done a rating so can we close?
Yes ~ thank you the system now has updated ~ if you need further help give me a ping and good luck with the repair ~ Ian