Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

cant change a paddle on an lg washer model f1406tdsp.

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK this is almost impossible to do as the paddles are fitted in manufacture and cant be done easily. There is a modification that has to be carried out to the paddle to actually get it to fit, give me a moment and I will dig out the modification sheet and talk you through it ~ Ian

Customer:

ok I am pretty diy handy but am struggling. I definitely have the right part

Dales-Electronic :

Here you go, the first time I tried doing it when these were new we ended up changing the appliance and then LG came up with this mod ~ I had very bloody finger tips and was as mad as hell !! ~~

Dales-Electronic :

1. If one paddle breaks buy two spares as they are cheaper than your time, and leave room for error (and the tabs breaking again)
2. The paddle is assymetric, so offer it up to the drum and establish which end needs to be at the front of the drum, by matching the paddle tabs with the drum holes. Mark the front of the paddle with an 'X' using a DVD or laundry pen, to avoid a slip-up.
3. Using a pair of side cutters, cut off 1/2 the tab, at the end furthest away from the the 'X' (ie furthest away from the front of the drum). This part of the tab (on my spares at least) is tapered - this being the bit you cut off.
4. There are three metal tabs in the drum which prevent the paddle from slipping out of the tabs once in place. Ensure these are all prised up at least 1/8" so they grip the paddle and prevent it sliding out.
5. Slot your paddle in, and ensure that it can't slide off. (If it does repeat step 4).
6. Simples - if you know how!

Dales-Electronic :

Once you have completed this kindly rate my service ~ this allows me to close down the job but you can come back to me at anytime for further advice at no extra cost ~ Ian

Customer:

when you say front of drum do you mean nearest aperture?

Dales-Electronic :

Yes the one nearest the door hole

Customer:

I have tried this and it doesn't work.

Customer:

I cant get the new paddle into the holes at the front of the drum

Dales-Electronic :

Have you got the paddle the correct way around, they will only fit one way you should be able to get them to sit in the holes in the stainless drum before you have to move them forward ~ as I said they are a sod of a job and take great patience ~ Ian

Customer:

HAve fitted it but had to cut most of tabs off! did click into place though

Dales-Electronic :

Yes its just a typical, we can fit in the factory design not very satisfactory in the field. I have an LG at home so I know how awkward it was for you. If you can now rate my service with the smiley faces below I can shut down the job on the front page # ***** can always come back for more info if required ~ take care have a cup of tea (or perhaps a beer) and I will catch you next time around. Regards ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.