Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Samsung microwave combination oven, Combi 900, CE101K,

I have a Samsung microwave combination oven, Combi 900, CE101K, which I have had for many trouble-free years, until now. Everything seems to work ok except the microwave function. It lights up, the timer works, the grill comes on, but it won't cook anything. Is this a major fault and is it repairable?
Thelma
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Frstly it is repairable, have you got anyone who can use an analogue multimeter?

Customer:

No.

Customer:

We don't know of anyone who can use an analogue multimeter so what happens next? Would it be an expensive repair or is it more sensible to buy another microwave?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Heres your conundrum ~ the thing that generates the cooking power in the microwave section is called a Magnetron and this would be the most likely thing to have gone. This item is available for about £38 ~ other things could also have gone but they would be less cost. So take the magnetron and add the labour lets say £40 and you have a total bill of around £75. If you find a decent engineer they would give you 12 months warranty on this repair. NOW check out the cost of a new combination oven, to include its size if fitted in a cavity, mull over whether you liked the Samsung and can you be bothered to learn how a new product works and then decide ~ if you need to locate a good engineer in your area message me on here and I'll find you one close to you. Hope that has been of help ~ now kindly rate my service, you can come back anytime for more information once this is done at no extra cost ~ Ian