Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hi We have a Rangemaster dxd910 refridgerator which we have

Customer Question

Hi We have a Rangemaster dxd910 refridgerator which we have a problem with. Just before we went on holiday 2 weeks ago the temperature in both the fridge and freezer drawers became too warm and we lost all food in both. Now that we are home i have turned the unit back on and have noted the following in the hope that you can help diagnose the problem.
When switched on it appears to be running as normal, the freezer temp reading was 17 & the fridge was 18, after about 40mins the temp readings were freezer 2 and fridge 16, however after this the temp has started to rise again and after being on for 1 hour and 50mins the temp readings are freezer 14 & fridge 15.
the unit is making the noise which we would expect to hear as if it is working as normal the only thing that i have noted is the clicking sound of what i think is a thermostat, this clicks approximately every 4 mins but nothing seams to be happening.
Can you help?
Many Thanks Billy
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Michael :

Hi Billy

Michael :

how old is your fridge?

Michael :

also is there any heavy frost on the rear wall inside the freezer?

Michael :

are you there?

Michael :

I will switch us to Q & A;-)

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
How old is your fridge?
Also is there any heavy frost on the rear wall inside the freezer?
thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have replied to your questions do you have any advice

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I haven't seen the reply on here?
I do need to know if there is any heavy frost on the fear wall inside the freezer?
Also the age of your fridge.
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is no heavy frost on the wall inside the freezer, we think the unit is about 6 years old

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Billy,
I need to know where the clicking is coming from. Is it inside up top?
Or in the back near the bottom by the compressor?
Please explain;-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its in the bottom near the compressor

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks,
I need you to remove that lower access cover behind the fridge to check something for me.
First I need to know how warm the compressor is on top is it very hot or just warm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its very hot

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Billy,
you may have a failing compressor unfortunately.
It is an expensive part to replace and it must be done by a tech that can fill the system with freon.
But this could also be blockage in the sealed system that would also cause the compressor to get so hot. The reason it keeps clicking off is the compressor is going into overload.
I wish i had better news for you I really do but both of these issues are very expensive to fix;-(
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, thank you very much for your help. we will contact a rangemaster engineer . Their call out fee is £200.00 , would you advise that that is the route we should go down or will the cost of the part plus the call our prove to be too expensive?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Billy, you can do that, but the outcome is more than likely going to be the same thing I mentions. I would hate for you to spend that much unless you are willing to spend a few hundred more on the repair.
I will be here if you have any further questions Billy;-)
Have a great weekend.
Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok then, thanks again for your help.

regards

Billy

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome!
Tech Mike