Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Midea MDT-10DEN3 Dehumidifer that runs for a hour

Customer Question

I have a Midea MDT-10DEN3 Dehumidifer that runs for a hour and more, collecting water then reports a E2 fault, which is a temprature sensor fault, any ideas how to clear the fault? The unit is a few years old.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Michael :

hi good morning

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

Michael :

on these, the problem may be a faulty sensor as usually is the case.

Michael :

but it can also be that the compressor is getting too warm

Michael :

this usually happens if too much dust collects inside and the fan can not circulate the air well

Michael :

A good internal cleaning is needed to fix this one;-)

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

Is there anyway to check the sensor there are only two leads going to it, I have taken the unit to pieces and have had it running, I have already cleaned it all up internally

Michael :

does the fan seem to run well?

Michael :

also do you have a meter?

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

Yes I have a meter

Michael :

ok thanks, ***** ***** can do, is check that it does respond to temp variations is all

Michael :

to do this set your meter to ohms(auto range)

Michael :

and disconnect the sensor

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

I will have to quickly take the unit apart again to get to the sensor again, will take me a few minutes

Michael :

then connect one lead each respectively to your meters probe

Michael :

ok

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

right dehumidifer in pieces! So unlug the sensors from the control board and test across the leads?

Michael :

ok

Michael :

now you need to attach the meter probes one each to the leads on the sensor and set your meter to Ohms

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

okay so I'm getting 220 ohms right now

Michael :

see if the values fluctuate when you place your hand on the sensor?

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

okay i have in my hand now and has dropped a couple of ohms, is it worth getting a cup of hot water as

Michael :

yes the hot water should help

Michael :

let me know if it responds further?

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

yes now it is dropping

Michael :

ok the sensor is good

Michael :

you either have a bad main board or an airflow issue

Michael :

because it runs so long without cutting off, i would suspect the board

Michael :

these boards tend to fail after a few years;-(

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

How hot should the compressor get during use? Could it require a recharge with recharge of 134a gas?

Michael :

I will need you to place your hand on top of the compressor is it hot or simply warm?

Michael :

if the unit is removing the water well, then the freon is ok

Michael :

that usually is not the case

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

I will need to run it as it is an hour or so since I last tried running it for any amount of time,

Michael :

I will stick with you until this is fixed, please dont forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.

Thank you and have a great day !

Tech Michael

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

I can see through the fins and fan and can see it is clear

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

well clear enough for airflow, no dust or anything blocking the flow

Michael :

sounds good, i still think its a board issue or possible, if the compressor is HOT, the compressor may be failing

Michael :

but since this may take us some time, if you rate acceptable, I can set up follow ups for you;-) No additional cost.

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

Okay well I have just started the unit up on the floor stripped down so i will be able to feel the compressor, which when it runs actually sounds normal. I'm from the UK but live in the Republic of Georgia and finding a dehumidifer here is well impossible which is why I want to repair this one, I come from an electrical background but not with the electronic HVAC side of things

Michael :

I can help you there but you you may need a new compressor or main board repair

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

So yes I will rate you acceptable, if it costs me £20 (fingers crossed) to get it working then it's good with me if I can't get it going properly nothing ventured nothing gained!

Michael :

understood;-)

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

and we all need to earn a few £

Michael :

Lol!

Michael :

true,

Michael :

i will stick with you and maybe we can fix this unit

JACUSTOMER-rc03gwi2- :

It's runs fine and collects a good litre or so of water then next time I check I find the E2 signal up which says it is a temprature fault. Right now it is buzzing away quite happily on the floor, how would I know the compressor is failing, stange noise or just as it get to hot?

Michael :

when you rate, I will switch us to Q & A

Michael :

if it gets hot on top let me know

Michael :

warm is ok

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did I do this right? Never used one of these sites before!

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi well almost lol.
You rated on there but it didn't go through.
Please re rate on this page, there is no additional cost to you;-)
I am researching a bit for you in the meantime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alright, sorry about that just clicked on good, reckless keyboard fingers!

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok,
It looked like the rating was going to go through but it didn't for some dumb reason.
I am looking for some info on the board so you may be able to fix this by working down to the component level. But before we go there please check the compressor when the unit has had some time to run and let me know if the it gets very hot;-)
Tech Michael