George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hi, I have an Indesit gas cooker model no: KD3G21S(X)/IR and

Customer Question

I have an Indesit gas cooker model no: KD3G21S(X)/IR and the oven will not stay lit after I have released the control knob. I have followed the instructions in the booklet with the same result. Can you help?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.

George-Allsorts :

Yes we can help you... How old is the cooker

JACUSTOMER-8pfjrosc- :

I've had it for about 5 years.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. have you recently cleaned the oven?

JACUSTOMER-8pfjrosc- :

Yes

George-Allsorts :

I thought you may have... Near the rear of the oven there is what is called a thermocouple... this will be the source of the problem... I can give you instruction to see if it is still operable.. but first I will describe to you what the thermocouple is

JACUSTOMER-8pfjrosc- :

OK

George-Allsorts :

The thermocouple is a device that sits at the edge of the flame.. This device warms in the flame and sends a 30mv signal to the gas valve to open, allowing full amount of called-for gas to the oven...

If the thermocouple cannot sense the flame, then it sends no signal and therefore the valve closes and wont stay lit.

George-Allsorts :

Does this help you understand what is happening?

JACUSTOMER-8pfjrosc- :

Yes, Ok.

JACUSTOMER-8pfjrosc- :

How do I rectify the matter?

George-Allsorts :

There are a couple of things to try to rectify the issue... If these do not work, you will need to change the thermocouple.

George-Allsorts :

First, can I ask you to take a moment to rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Once rated, I will assist you further with the fault.
This will initially close our chat but we can still re-open and continue our chat

George-Allsorts :

Thank you for the rating... we can now continue

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Hello Jackie... I will now give you some direction toward trying to rectify the problem

Are you near to the oven?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

At the rear of the oven is a small sender (thermocouple) that sticks out near to where the flame would be ... can you see it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

That needs to be clean... no cleaning products, no grease... it also needs to have its tip into the flame

It looks like this

graphic
When you were cleaning, you may have knocked the metal peice that this is located on and pushed it out of the flame
Have you managed to clean/re-position it... is it working now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have cleaned it as best I could, however I am not sure if I have re-positioned it correctly.

Try your oven... Make sure the flame is running over the edge of the thermocouple... not too far into the flame though...

If it is and all is staying on then great... if it is and the oven still will not stay lit then you will need to purchase and replace the thermocouple with the newly purchased one.

Let me know either way...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I will clean it some more and try.

If you consider that my advice thus far is worth an upgrade in rating; you can show this by upgrading your rating from OK to Good or to Excellent by clicking on a greater number of smiley faces.. This would be apreciated and can be done at no further cost to yourself.
Hi Jackie,

Just a follow-up to see how you are getting on with the oven problem...

If you feel you need further assistance with the problem, identifying part numbers for replacement, or something else.. please feel free to ask..

regards
George