Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We have a integrated Neff fridge freezer model k4254x4gb/02,which

Customer Question

We have a integrated Neff fridge freezer model k4254x4gb/02,which someone came to look at, about 18months ago, because it was making noises which sounded like bottles clanking in a crate. I was told to leave it off for 48hours see what happens, this seemed to solve the problem. Until this summer when the same thing happened again and was solved the same way. However during the last week or so I noticed the noise again but also the freezer seems to work intermittently, because it looked liked it had started to defrost then freeze again, dial in the door showed not cold enough, fridge seemed fine though. tried defrosting, now seems the problem is worse.Can see the freezer is sometimes defrosting because we have drips frozen at the top, dial still not right. While the fridge temperature shows ok, that also doesn't seem as cold as usual.Is this a problem that can be solved easily?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

I am just trying to get an illustrated diagram for you so that I can take you through the procedure to solve the defrosting problem, it might take me a while as according to the Neff engineers website they are doing updates until about 8 pm.

JACUSTOMER-m21klogt- :

It sounds as though this is a problem you think we can fix, do you have the diagram yet, since I asked our original question we have made the temperature control colder which has stopped the awful noises,[surprisingly] but I'm still not sure the temperature of both fridge and freezer is as it should be, What do you think is going on?

Dales-Electronic :

Can you tell me what refrigerant it is using, this will be either be R600a or R134a and be on the rating plate inside - Ian

JACUSTOMER-m21klogt- :

Yes it's R600a

Dales-Electronic :

Can you give me the FD number too please. Are you able to get the appliance out of the cabinet?

JACUSTOMER-m21klogt- :

The FD number is ***** and no not sure how to get it out.

Dales-Electronic :

Can you also advise if the noise occurs when the motor is running or when it has just stopped

JACUSTOMER-m21klogt- :

Well, probably when it had just stopped.it also was sounding as though the motor was struggling to keep running, but as I said since we turned the temperature colder there has been no noise at all, I'm a bit confused as the light in the fridge flashes sometimes but others it is showing correct temperature

Dales-Electronic :

OK just to clear up a point, are you concerned with the noise or the inability to keep the product cold?

JACUSTOMER-m21klogt- :

We certainly was concerned with the noise when we first contacted you, and I don't understand how, making the temperature colder has helped that. However the concern is that we can't trust the freezer temperature, or now the fridge either both seem to work on and off therefore not sure the temperature is as it should be

Dales-Electronic :

ok the units using R600a are considerably noisier than their earlier c**terparts. From what you have told me sofar I think you have a system that is short of refrigerant. This refrigerant is used not only to cool the food but also to cool the motor at the back. If you lose this refrigerant then the motor not only is switched off and on by the thermostat but also on its safety thermal cut out. You need a refrigeration engineer to come out and check the gas pressures - what you are seeing is on a normal day it will work fairly well but from time to time it cuts out and stays off for perhaps 4 hours which is when things defrost. - Ian

JACUSTOMER-m21klogt- :

Thank you for this information, it all makes sense. We feel we have a better understanding, now we need the engineer, Do you know of anyone locally in Kent? also would it be a costly repair?

Dales-Electronic :

If you can give me your postcode I will send you a like that will allow you to send an email to a recommended engineer that is a member of the Whitegoods Trade Association who work to a code of practice and will give you an idea of how much their charges are - if you would kindly give me a rating using the smiley faces below I can shut down the job on the system and forward you the link - Have a good weekend - Ian

JACUSTOMER-m21klogt- :

Yes we are in ME13,thank you for your time, look forward to sorting this out now. Have a good weekend too

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.