Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hi. I have a Hotpoint WT940 washing machine that made an awful

Hi. I have a Hotpoint WT940 washing machine that made an awful sound like loud grinding. Now it drum doesn't spin but if you spin it around by hand there is no resistance it just spins and spins. Any ideas? Thanks
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

I need you just to do a couple of things for me and then I can further diagnose your fault, if you move the drum by hand does it feel rough and is it noisy? Can you take the top off to look inside? ~ Ian

Customer: No the drum is smooth and not noisy. I can't take the top off
Dales-Electronic :

OK well from what you have told me the belt has come off the drum pulley at the back, it has either just come off, has snapped or the drum pulley (unusual) has become loose. You will need to take the top off to refit/change it or tighten the drum pulley.