KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

My Toshiba tv is about 5 years old - REGZA. I've always been

My Toshiba tv is about 5 years old - REGZA. I've always been completely satisfied with it, but in the last few weeks, firstly the sound kept coming and going, then sometimes there's a definate green tint on the screen. Do I need to buy a new tele???
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

please tell me its complete model number

Customer:

I cant get to the back of it to find out!

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, any blinking lights ?

Customer:

On what? At the moment the tv is perfectly fine. The sound and green tint don't always appear.

KevinWhiteJA :

On the TV...

KevinWhiteJA :

so basically it works for like few hours and then the problem starts

Customer:

No - no blinking lights

KevinWhiteJA :

or sometimes it also starts when you turn it on

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Is this something to do with the Humax b

Customer:

recorder box that's plugged into it?

KevinWhiteJA :

you can try to play a DVD or connect it via another source to check

Customer:

i tried to play a disc at the weekend, and it switched itself off

Customer:

Trying a dvd now, and its perfect.........!

KevinWhiteJA :

so there is no problem on anything ?

Customer:

Not on this dvd. The REAL problem is the sound, which was off earlier for about 20 minutes on a recorded programme, and the definite green tint on it especially last night, when I had to watch on the tv in the bedroom.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, what all is connected to the tv and through which cables

Customer:

There's a dvd player, the Humax box and a scart lead to the recording box. Not very good on this cable and electrical stuff!! All I can see is a lot of cables leading these things. Sorry I cant be more specific,

KevinWhiteJA :

OK if the DVD works fine then the problem is with the cable or the Humax...if same problem appears again then you will have to check the power supply board, if you are not willing to do it yourself then get it checked by the tech. I believe the repairs will cost around £60 - £70 depending on the part that will need repalcement

KevinWhiteJA :

*replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

If the power supply board has to be replaced then it will cost around £150

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges....

KevinWhiteJA :

your thoughts ?

Customer:

Thanks Kevin. Don't know what I can really do about it really, as there's nobody I know who can help with this. Do I just bite the bullet and spend money on a new tv? And what is a power supply board, and where would I find it? You must get very frustrated trying to answer questions from somebody like me, who only knows how the switch the tv on and off, and record and play back programmes!!! Sorry for my ignorance.

KevinWhiteJA :

of course not , that is my job isn't it :) The power supply board is inside the unit...as there are intermittent problems with both picture and sound so most likely I believe it is that board...you know the cost of a new TV so if you believe that it is better option than go for it

Customer:

Do you mean inside the tv unit or the recording box?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes inside the TV

Customer:

Well I think that settles it - a new tv it is (gulp) and just before Christmas too!

Customer:

Thanks for your help anyway.

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good Day