Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

we are trying to replace the pipe that comes out from the bottom

Customer Question

we are trying to replace the pipe that comes out from the bottom of the door on our Daewoo fridge freezer #9american style) how do we take the door apart?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

I have a feeling that the pipe that comes out of the bottom of the door is an integral part of the door and you have to replace the lot, can you give me the model number and I will check for you ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

hi ian, thanks for getting back so quickly. model number FRS 203 1AL fingers crossed it doesn't need total replacement. if it does ccan you give us a rough idea of cost for the new door? thanks

Dales-Electronic :

Yes no problem ~ before we start can you advise where you have a problem with the pipe, this is a common fault with Daewoo units is the water just coming out under the door?

Dales-Electronic :

Could you just check the model number again is it FRS203IAL ?

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

Hi it is FRS-2031IAL I missed out a letter I think.

Dales-Electronic :

OK that's fine, just tell me what the problem is here, it is very common for these to leak out the bottom of the door where the pipe exits through the bottom hinge ~ is this your problem? ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

the actual pipe is split where it comes out of the door. It happened when we were moving freezer had to take doors off to get it out of kitchen, think it has been stood up on the pipe.

Dales-Electronic :

OK is the break before it goes through the hinge, at the hinge, or passed the hinge?

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

just after it comes through hinge

Dales-Electronic :

How much have you got after it bends through 90 degrees prior to going underneath?

Dales-Electronic :

underneath the fridge cabinet?

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

about half an inch

Dales-Electronic :

OK hang on a second

Dales-Electronic :

OK, lets try and do this ~ if you start from the point that a new door is going to cost You £310 plus the vat then you have little to loose and much to gain, however what I am going to suggest is not the recommended way and may not work. If you go down to your local plumbers merchant you should be able to get a straight coupling (x 2) that is push fit, it may come with a insert that you put inside of the pipe to maintain its shape Cut off about an inch 25mm of your supply pipe and take it with you so that you can match it up. Whilst you are there purchase a couple of metres of plastic pipe too. Once you have got these bits you need to cut off the pipe just under the door at the point where the split starts, push the supplied inserts into the pipe and then firmly push both ends of your pipe into the coupling ~ do you follow me so far?

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

except what do we need the extra pipe for?

Dales-Electronic :

What we are trying to do is keep as much of the existing pipe and cut out the damaged pipe and replace it with new. You need the extra piece of pipe so that if the existing pipe doesn't have enough spare you can cut a section out and use the second connector mentioned above to replace that removed. It should only cost you a few pounds for everything and surely much cheaper than a full door ~ sadly its a bad design, we have replace one of these doors this week under warranty because the pipe broke level with the door bottom. Are you happy with what you have got to do and how to do it?

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

yes thanks wish ours was still under warranty :( Thanks for your helpl

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you would kindly rate my service below with the smiley faces so that I can shut this call down, You can once this is done come back and ask further questions at no extra cost to you ~ one final thing, don't forget to switch the water off when you are doing it, and once done keep a close eye on it for leaks, its easy to think the coupling/pipe is locked together until you get some water pressure applied ~ have fun and thanks for the question, always good to have someone who is prepared to 'have a go' enjoy the rest of your day ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Do you need further help?

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

Thanks Ian, Will let you know how it goes should be done by tonight or at least that is the plan. Many thanks for your help.

JACUSTOMER-hwqvgen1- :

David

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi got water pipe repaired but not making ice, makes all the right noises but doesn't seem to be getting water to the ice maker. Any ideas

Just off the top of my head the water supply to the ice maker should go up the back of the appliance and into the freezer rather than running outside and up inside the door for the chilled water. Will have a look tomorrow for you and come back to you ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just pressed the test button and the ice Tray tipped and a small amount of water came in.is that normal? Will see how it goes overnight. Thanks again for your help

Yes if you press the test button the ice maker should go through its full sequence, ie short heater cycle to heat frozen cube mould, tip ice cubes out and then refill, I would suggest that perhaps you had an airlock in the supply pipe which has now cleared. Im around tomorrow so report back in the morning ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ian
Left it on over night and ice tray is about ha
F full of ice cubes am going to reroute inlet wateripe so that it shouldn't get air locked again ,many thanks
OK if you need more help ping me