Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an electronic Astro cooker hood on which nothing works

I have an electronic Astro cooker hood on which nothing works - no lights, no fan - it's dead. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Can you give me the model number and serial number from inside the hood area

Customer:

Model AS600BK

Customer:

Serial ********** /p>

Dales-Electronic :

OK just checking

Dales-Electronic :

OK the first thing that you need to confirm is that the hood is actually getting power to it, this may mean that you have to take the cowl off unless your kitchen fitter had the sense to bring the cable out to a fused switch ~ can you do this?

Customer:

I've checked and power is to the hood and the internal fuse is ok too

Dales-Electronic :

OK well if you have got power to the hood then it will be either the electronic power controller or the switch bank that controls it, they work together to control the motor, lights etc the power controller costs £73 and the switch bank £63 so it might be something you want to consider before you take the repair further. It is unusual for there to be nothing operating so I would perhaps be looking at the electronic power controller to see if there is damage within ~ Ian

Customer:

I've taken the power controller pcb out and all looks ok but i don't have a meter to hand to check it through. As both the controller and switch bank are expensive I'd like to narrow it down to one or the other...

Customer:

How do you take out the switch bank? It all looks riveted together!

Customer:

Not sure if you got my last message...

Customer:

Dales-Electronic :

The problem is that there are components on the board that cant be check by eye and need a meter and someone who know how to us it, are you able to confirm that power is getting to the pcb? The switch bank is, as is the only available as a complete assy. Are you able to use a multimeter?

Customer:

I can use a multimeter. I can't see how you get to the switch bank to remove and replace it - is there access somewhere?

Dales-Electronic :

Usually you have to attack it from the back to remove the locating screws ~ if you can wait until tomorrow when I get to work I will dig out the service manual and see if it has any circuit diagrams that you might follow

Customer:

I can wait until tomorrow. How will you let me know when you're online?

Dales-Electronic :

Just ping up on here and I will see you are around

Customer:

I have the cooker hood down and on the floor but I can't see how to get at the switch unit!

Customer:

Ok, I'll be around most of the day.

Dales-Electronic :

OK I have spoken to my college at Caple who advises that it will almost certainly be the power board that is bolted in the chimney area of the hood and screwed to the top of the cowl. Would you now kindly rate my advice to you, once this is done you can come back to me for further advice at any time and free of extra cost. Have a good day ~ Ian