Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have ecoMAXpro 18E and recently it doesn't seem to be controlling

Customer Question

I have ecoMAXpro 18E and recently it doesn't seem to be controlling or modulating heat input correctly, after an hour the house is barely starting to get warm (room stat is calling for heat). Watching the control panel it starts heating and shortly cuts out at around 50C (set point is 70C) and wont refire until temp down to 24C. Gradually the cut out temp rises towards 60C (refiring at around 28C) and eventually reaches 70C (refiring at around 38C) after nearly 2hrs. It doesn't seem to be able to modulate and maintain the temperature steady at just below the set point. No red light or fault code. The combustion level often is showing 4 bars when temp is only mid 40s and can suddenly go to 5 or 6 bars when temp is rising near to the cut out temp. Flow temp reflects the temperature displayed and heat is reaching the radiators, and return temp is considerably lower than flow until the radiators are fully heated. Any ideas?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am sorry to hear that.
How old is your boiler?
Also when was the last time it was professionally serviced?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The boiler was installed Nov 2006. It has not been professionally serviced.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mike,
This may simply need a good internal cleaning. This should be done once every two years for proper operation. There are sensors that get dirty, and air gates etc, they need to be cleaned and adjusted. When a problem like the one you are having occurs, its doubtful there is a control issue rather this one simply needs a good professional cleaning.
Any local heating tech can do this for you in about 1 hour.
Not very expensive either;-)
I will stick with you until this is fixed, please don't forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you and have a great day Mike!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mmm, two things. First, I have serviced the boiler several times in the past myself and found things quite clean, but accept it might just be possible they have suddenly become dirty.

Secondly, since asking my question above, I have tried slowing the pump speed to minimum, and shortly within 20 mins the red fault light lit and Fault code 26 showed on the display:(Maximum delta t). What does this suggest -the pump is still operating. It has never occured previously when the pump speed was set lower. How can I check or increase delta t (set too restrictively)?

What I am trying to achieve with my question is to identify accurately what the fault is likely to be, so I can get it fixed directly.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mike,
that makes sense as well, the pump, if slowed too much will set an error.
What happens is that the seals inside the pump wear normally but the pump will become less effective so eventually if you slow even to the point you used to it wont work as effectively at that setting.
The reason is that its no longer quite as efficient but that is normal;-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. How long should a Grundfos UPS2 15-50/60 pump last in a domestic situation? I replaced the last one after 4 years about 4 years ago because it sounded to have worn bearings - rumbling. The present one has been getting noisy for nearly 2years and I was going to replace it shortly anyway. I wouldn't have thought the cast metal impeller or housing wouldn't wear that much, but the bearings maybe?

Anyway, do you believe that if I change the pump it will likely rectify the problem in my original question?

Also, do you know if and how it is possible to check/ vary 'delta t'?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike, the pump life depends on a few things. But usually they last a lot longer than that, like 10 years.
You may have just gotten one with a defective bearing its quite possible. But it could also be the internal impeller in the pump.
As for that solving your issue it may very well solve this;-)
I would do that and see how it goes.
If not, then a professional cleaning is really in order;-)
Thanks Mike and have a great holiday! Please rate favorably and I will stick with you all the way until we are sure this is working well.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks.

These new boilers are all very well but I have spent most of the fuel savings since it was installed on parts and maintainance keeping it running properly. The old one was 40 yrs old and v few probs until the end!

I will replace pump and get it cleaned / serviced and see where we are then.

Do I find you again here at 'just Answer UK', or other wise?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike, if you will rate my service as ok or better at this point, I will be here for you when you need me further at no additional cost;-)
Thanks Mike
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Replaced pump and boiler now working perfectly, modulating at 70C set point. Cheers.

Wonder if this pump will last longer than the 4 years when the previous two became un serviceable?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike, it should unless it runs a real lot.
I would think about ten years would be normal for that pump.