George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Appliance is a Miele washer W1918 The electrical test for

Customer Question

Appliance is a Miele washer W1918 The electrical test for the power module calls for a reading of 25-33VDC. When this test is not within limits. is the voltage usually higher or lower that the tolerances?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.

If you have voltage tolerances set for a board then the power must reside within the the given tolerances... If on test, the tolerances are not met, then this could be high or low... but usually high

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

Can you give me some info that explains your answer, ie, what kind of failure would drive the voltage up rather than down.

George-Allsorts :

If the pump or motor is drawing more power than it should

George-Allsorts :

Sorry, you said voltage rather than amperage ... To have a reading of higher voltage would normally be a failure or weakening of a board component

George-Allsorts :

Do you require any further assistance

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

Thank you George. Motor brushes worn or arching would definitely draw more amps pulling down the voltage. Since this is the power module that would make sense. I was not sure what would cause an increase voltage across the check terminals. Operation with the voltage above the test parameters (my problem) causes the machine to shut down after about 30 min as if the power supply was shut off. Disconnecting the power for about 20 minutes and then plugging it in again brings it back to life where it left off in the wash cycle and it operates normally for another 10-12 minutes. Repeat this cycle is rather lengthy to finish a load of wash. The power module costs as much as a brand new equivalent Samsung. Miele is pricing itself out of the market.

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

Any further comments?

George-Allsorts :

Go

George-Allsorts :

Gosh... I don't know the particular board... however, can you post a picture of the board for me so I can see what components are on it that are likely to cause the dropout?

Meanwhile, can I ask you to take a moment to rate my assistance/responses so far? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Once rated, I will assist you further with the fault... The higher the rating the better for me.
This will initially seem like it is closing our chat but we can still re-open and continue our conversation

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

W1918 /-30 /-26 /-66 /-86 Clothes Washers Electronic Check
1. Turn the appliance OFF.
2. Locate and unplug the ribbon cable connector from the Upper Electronic Board.
3. Close the Door.
4. Set the program selector to the START position.
5. Turn the appliance ON.
6. Ensure the Ribbon Cable is secured to the Lower Electronics, only.
7. Counting from left to right, locate pins 9 and 10 on the unplugged ribbon cable connector.
8. Measure the DC voltage between pins 9 and 10. Voltage from 4VDC to 6VDC is acceptable
9. Locate pins 12 and 13 on the unplugged ribbon cable connector.
10. Measure the voltage between pins 12 and 13. Voltage from 25VDC to 33 VDC is acceptable.
Are both voltages within tolerance?
YES
NO
Lower Electronic is OK
Replace the Lower Electronic
11. Turn the appliance OFF.
12. Reconnect the ribbon cable to the Upper Electronic.
13. Locate pins 10 and 11 on the Lower Electronic Ribbon Cable Connector.
14. Turn the appliance ON.
15. Measure the voltage between pins 10 and 11. Voltage from 1.4VDC to 2.4VDC is acceptable.
Is the voltage within tolerance?
YES
NO
Both Electronics are OK / Troubleshoot elsewhere.
Replace the Upper Electronic

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

1. Turn the appliance OFF.
3. Close the Door.
5. Turn the appliance ON.
Are both voltages within tolerance?
YES
NO
Lower Electronic is OK
Replace the Lower Electronic
11. Turn the appliance OFF.
14. Turn the appliance ON.
Is the voltage within tolerance?
YES
NO
Replace the Upper Electronic

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

This is the troubleshooting page from the service manual. From page 46. check item.10. Don't know if the manual uploaded or not. I have the complete wiring diagram as a pdf also.

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

The manual is straight forward on testing first the power module and then the control module. Test point 8 was perfect, right in the middle of the range. Test point 10 was 57.3 volts, way over.

George-Allsorts :

I see that this is to test the lower electronics.... The lower modual for this mahine is which one? ... is it the motor control module?

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

I think there is no question that the power module is bad but I was trying to figure out what would cause it to test over voltage.

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

Rating in progress.

JACUSTOMER-xjhi6t9r- :

Bob

George-Allsorts :

Can you photo the module for me... I want to get a good look at it if you don't mind... just to see if I can identify what could be wrong

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George, the module is in a hard plastic case with ribbon connectors coming out. I do have the wiring schematic and diagram in pdf format if I could figure out how to attach them. The image attach url does not activate since I did the rating.

-Bob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 2014-11-27_014039_miele_w1918_svcinfo-cl.pdf

Attachment: 2014-11-27_012654_miele_washer_wiring_schematic.pdf

Attachment: 2014-11-27_012854_miele_wiring_w19xx_series.pdf

George, I think both the wiring schematic and diagrams are attached. Please confirm you got both pdf files. for the Miele w1918

Have added the service manual also. See pg 46

Bob Meyers

Hi bob.. I have had a look at what you have sent, but unfortunately none of that helps to diagnose an issue with the bottom board...

The diagrams do not go down to component level, nor do they show tracking on the board...