George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Trying to replace a grill control on a Stoves Model *********

Customer Question

Trying to replace a grill control on a Stoves Model ********* with an Invesys unit purchased from espares. The original unit has six spade connections, viz Terminal 2 (Blue) Terminal 4 (Black/grey) Terminals P1 (double orange) S1 (single orange) S2 (yellow) and one unmarked Terminal to which is attached a brown insulated spade connector. The only similar looking unit I could find on the Net was one shown as "Discontinued by Manufacturer"
The new Unit has three double male conectors marked "2" "P2,4" and "P1" and one single marked "S2". Have I purchased the wrong unit or am I just thick in not knowing what to connect and where?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.

George-Allsorts :

Can you supply me with the cooker model number, the part number from the original switch, and the part number from the new switch please...

When doing so, please place a # ***** model numbers and omit any spaces.

JACUSTOMER-3ynb99pu- :

Hi George,

George-Allsorts :

JACUSTOMER-3ynb99pu- :

Hi George, The cooker model number is #058542048 and that of the new switch is #082590800. The new switch is seemingly manufactured by "INVENSYS". If it is of any help the original switch bears the following numbers;- OG1206361 and 13AS T125.

George-Allsorts :

Are you on a phone or a computer?

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair

OK, I am going to try get a wiring diagram... Unfortunately the tech dept are closed at the moment but I will contact them first thing tomorrow...

In the meantime, Is it the selector switch that you are trying to change... If so.. can you undo the selector and tell me the number from the front of it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George, The switch I am trying to replace is that which controls the heat of the grill. It has eight settings plus the off position dot. I have taken it out again and can see no number on the front. The only identification is on the upper side when installed and is OG1206 361 230/240v and under that is13AS T125. As far as I can see the only function the switch does not share with the normal 'ring'controls is that it also operates a fan and according to the eSpares site it is also connected to a thermostat. The fan comes on every time the grill is switched on but the grill itself only works intermittently. Could we possibly be looking at a thermostat fault rather than a switch fault?

The problem you have is that you have ordered the incorrect part... The part number you need to order is #081593102...

You should be able to return the incorrect part to espares and ask them for the correct part in replacement as they currently have two in stock
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks George. The alternative switch doesn't look much like the original, but it's got to be worth a try.thanks again for your help.
You are welcome.. and if you can see you way to highering that OK to Excellent I will stay around just in case you require further help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****, I have attempted to fit the repacement switch you recommended without success. None of the terminal ID's, bar one, match those on the original and with 6 spade connections to make its a bit like playing Russian Roulette. From the front, the terminals on the left are shown as 5 (2 spades), 2 (empty), 1, 3,and 4 (all single spades). Terminals on the right are all double spades and numbered from, the front, are P3, P1 and P2. If you can't offer some suggestions as to what connects to where I'll just have to scrap the cooker. Best, Jim

Hello Jim.. for me to get a good and proper description of what is going on, and to be able to ask you additional questions, please ring me on 07787182156