Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

how do i reverse the doors on my hotpoint STF fridge freezer

Customer Question

how do i reverse the doors on my hotpoint STF fridge freezer - I have the right tools- I think
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Michael :

is this one a with a top freezer lower fridge?

Michael :

as I suspect

JACUSTOMER-ivmubx1w- :

the freezer is on the bottom

Michael :

ok thats fine.

Michael :

lets deal with the fridge section first

Michael :

do you see where the hinges attach to the chassis?

JACUSTOMER-ivmubx1w- :

we are alright with the fridge- we have mastered that its the bottom freezer bracket that we cannot re attach- there are two parts and the screw holes are not aligned

Michael :

look on the other edges for small plastic grommets do you see them?

Michael :

you should also see them on the top and bottoms of the doors

JACUSTOMER-ivmubx1w- :

there are no plastic grommets - the hinge bracket and the screw plate which sits behind the hinge bracket does not line up in the groove provided- when we dismantled it from the other side the rear plate just fell off so we cannot tell which way it was previously attached

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I will opt out of this as Im unfamiliar with this model Maybe another tech can assist you.
Have a great day
Tech Michael
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Do you still need help on this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi we have a hotpoint STF187WG.

I cannot get the bottom door hinge to transfer to the other side for reverse opening.

When I removed the bracket/hinge piece a plate fell off the back and I cannot get it to line up with the hinge or holes to re-attach on other side!!!

the only way I can fit it is vertical but this stops the plastic cover from fitting flush!!

can you help?????

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok on the bottom hinge have you swapped the pin over to the other side?

If not then use a pair of pliers and unscrew the pin on the hinge and then transfer it to the other hole on the door hinge.

Then insert the metal plate in the fridge and then you should be able to refit the door hinge the correct way round then.

Try that and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

you cannot reverse the pin itself, you have to move the whole bracket.

there are 6 dedicated holes for the screw plate and the hinge bracket to fit on to. The plate is for the anti tamper screws to bite into but I cannot get the holes to line up!!

The plate has to sit behind the hinge to allow the screws to attach. This can only be done with the plate in a vertical position as far as I can see, but the plate then protrudes above the plastic cover and doesn't fit flush!! I cant see what i'm doing wrong!!!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok the pin does unscrew as it has to for the door to sit corretly otherwise it wont line up correctly.

As to the meteal plate have a look at it and at the top of the plate it should be shaped like an upside down V. Thats the way the plate should go.

Once that plate is in on the hinge you will see an oval hole. There is an insert on the fidge were the hinge pushes onto and it lines up. Its hard to explane online but have a look and see if you can see what i mean.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the plate should sit flush on the surface of the fridge in a horizontal position but it wont line up with the holes that way!

the hinge bracket fits ok, its the plate that doesn't!

i'm totally at a loss I cannot get it flush at all!!!!!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok that plate are you trying to make it sit flush on the front of the fridge?

If so then it doesnt. It pushes up a slot just behind the front of the fridge.
Lean it backwards a little and were the plate should go look under there and you will see a slot. That plate pushes up there and then you can refit the door hinge.

Try that and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is no slot!!

I give up Dan!!!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
It will be there. Ive done quite a few of them. Ive had a look at the info ive got but theres no video clips or better pictures ive got to what you will all ready have.

But if you are sure theres no slot there then get in touch with Hotpoint as its be made faulty so in that case they should come out and either replace it or do the repair for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand how it fitted on its original side!!

Because I couldn't see the plate when taking the hinge off I didn't realise it was there until it fell on the floor!!

I just cant fathom it and cant even put it back on the original side!!!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
There is a slot there for that backing plate to slid into.

Lean it backwards and look under the front part of the fridge were the hinge goes were all the little holes are. There will be a slot there that the back plate pushes up into it.

As it has come out of it so it will be there.