George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I HAVE A FOUR BURNER SEIMENS GAS HOB iQ100 EB6 15PB80E. TWO

I HAVE A FOUR BURNER SEIMENS GAS HOB iQ100 EB6 15PB80E. TWO OF THE GAS BURNER CONTROL BUTTONS STARTED TO BE DIFFICULT TO TURN ON AND NOW HAVE SEIZED. I AM RELUCTANT TOO USE A STILSON SPANNER ON THE SPINDLE SHAFT BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE SHEAR DAMAGE TO THE SPINDLE SHAFT OR THE VALVE ITSELF. ANY SUCH DAMAGE THAT WOULD CAUSE GAS TO ESCAPE WOULD MEAN TURNING OFF THE GAS AT THE MAIN STOP COCK AND THE UNWANTED CONSEQUENCES THAT WOULD HAVE ON HEATING AND COOKING SERVICES TO THE HOUSE. I HAVE APPLIED SOME LUBRICATING OIL AND WD40 ALL TO NO AVIAL AND NEED SOME REAL SOME EXPERT ADVICE ON HOW TO PROCEED. MANY THANKS IN ANTICPATION. IAN STYLES
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello Ian, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you give me the two numbers following the model... It should look something like 15PB80E/??

George-Allsorts :

There should also be a production number near to the model number.. can you let me know that too

Customer:

Hi George I regret I cannot give you the full number you requested as l do not have easy access to the hob realting to my question, which is in place and working albeit on two burners only. I would also have to take out a cooker located under the hob in order to inspect the appliance idetification plate whch must be underside. I would suggest anyway that my question is one that would be commnon to the majority of gas hobs manufactured with the usual rotating gas control knobs for each burner mounted on the top surface. A spindle emerges to the surface of the hob from the valve below and it has a push fit plastic turning surface button which is easily removed by simple hand leverage. All I am suggesting to do is put a spanner on the two seized valves spindles to allow and facitate rotation of the spindle for normal hand usage of the top button. As I said I have hesitated doing this and seek the best advice from Siemens on the possible damage and/or what possible alternatives are suggested to get the two burners now out of action back to normal working condition again. My best regards Ian

George-Allsorts :

Hello Ian, I do understand the predicament of removing the hob only to have to replace it again...

I can only advise you that replacement of the two valves is the only safe option... as forcing the vaves can not only damage them but can also cause gas leaks

The parts are as follows and are available from the Siemens Website

1 Front 00612255 Gas tap £ 53.98
2 Fr Mid 00612254 Gas tap £ 44.53
3 Rr Mid 00614940 Gas tap £ 50.24
4 Rear 00614940 Gas tap £ 50.24

George-Allsorts :

with kind regards