Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I have a Trianco 60.000Btu central heating boiler. Most of

I have a Trianco 60.000Btu central heating boiler. Most of the time the expansion pipe into the header tank has warm water flowing into the tank. Can you give me advice why this is happening please?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi i

Plumberpro :

Hi , is the water flowing out of the vent pipe that overhangs the tank?

Plumberpro :

Have you changed the pump or any pipework changes?

Customer:

The water is flowing out of the vent pipe into the header tank. The pump nor any of the pipework has been changed

Plumberpro :

Him. You could have air or a blockage that may have developed after the vent tee . is your heating working well , all radiators getting hot ?

Customer:

Yes, all radiators are getting hot.

Plumberpro :

Ok . if there has been no change to the system and the pump speed hasn't been changed and it hasn't pumped over before it can only be caused by slugde or air in the system . is there any manual air release points , maybe near the hot water cylinder that near releasing air?

Customer:

I can only see a drain cock on the pipe coming from the bbottom of the hot water cylinder

Plumberpro :

Ok . I believe your system must be sludged. Is it running out of the vent as a dribble or really flowing?

Customer:

It is a flow causing the header tank to overflow almost continually

Plumberpro :

Ok . is thecwqater flow out of the overflow pipe outside?

Customer:

Yes, the overflow water is drip, drip, drip to our outside yard

Plumberpro :

Ok .if you turn the heating and hot water off , is the tank level still rising and overflowing even if the ball valve is shut?

Customer:

Just checked, the warm water has stopped coming out of the vent pipe after I turned the c/h off

Plumberpro :

Ok your system must be sludged up . could please try turning the pump. To setting 1 and see if that stops it , thanks .

Plumberpro :

Hi , ho did you get on?

Customer:

I could'n find settings on the pump only a switch, \\\\\\\iturned it off and then on but the pump has not come back on!

Plumberpro :

Ok . the heating is on at prog and room stat?

Customer:

Yes

Plumberpro :

That's blooming weird ,it won't turn back on ? Are you sure it hasn't , could it just have come back on quieter?

Customer:

I will check again

Plumberpro :

I have never known a pump with aonly a switch .they always have speed selectors

Customer:

I have checked-the pump is not turnung, Ihave put my hand on it & no vibration

Plumberpro :

If its on speed one then you wouldn't hear or feel it . can I ask you if the system could have been pumping over for a long time and it just hadn't been noticed?

Plumberpro :

Only asking this because pumping over is usually a design fault in the pipework or the pump being fitted other wrong way round.

Customer:

the system must have been pumping over a long period, there has been an intermittent period when this has happened before

Plumberpro :

Ok . there must be a system design fault somewhere. Are you able to do the pipework changes yourself?

Customer:

Not really - but the heating is now off due to the pump on stop

Plumberpro :

What model of pump is it ? Ie, grundfos 15-50

Customer:

Grundfos Super 4

Plumberpro :

I'm pretty sure that is a hot water circulator. Does it have a gold label?

Plumberpro :

Ithink the super 4 is a two speed

Plumberpro :

Does it have numbers after the 4 , ie 130 or 180

Plumberpro :

Try switching the pump again it should go up to the higher speed . if it doesn't then it may have been on the way out.

Customer:

It doesn't have a gold label. It's Type 4.50/130 Class F

Plumberpro :

Ok . to be honest there care a few ways to cure the pumping over. 1 is to link the vent and feed together. .2 is to reconfigure the pipe work so that the feed and vent is before the pump 3 is to use a vent feed separator. 4 is to make sure the vent is two feet above the header before curving down .

Plumberpro :

Sorry your pump is a normal heating pump

Customer:

The switch on the pump, was that suppose to change the speed? If not, why has it not come back on? We have no heating now

Plumberpro :

Is there power to it , prog and room stat on?

Plumberpro :

Did you switch it back to the original setting

Customer:

Thermostats on, and is switched back to it's original setting, I don;t know if there is power to it!

Plumberpro :

Ok . it may have packed up . the super 4 is an old pump. Is it vibrating humming or getting hot?

Customer:

It is not, humming or vibrating and is hot due to the water that was circukating through it.

Plumberpro :

Ok , one thing you could try with it is to open the pump bleed screw and turn the pump to get it going again with a small screwdriver. There will be a little water coming out . a towel will take care of it . but really to solve the pumping cover you will need a reputable heating engineer .

Customer:

I'll try this now

Plumberpro :

Ok

Customer:

I don't know where the pump bleed screw is can't find it

Plumberpro :

It is right in the middle of the round face with the label

Plumberpro :

Full Size Image

Plumberpro :

Hi , I am off to bed , sorry got an early one tommorow . hope you managed to get the pump spinning again . you obviously need a new pump and someone to reconfigure the pipework a bit . pumps are £80. I am sorry that I had no easy quick solution , I am around tomorrow if you want to continue , good luck , all the best

Plumberpro :

I can see your typing

Plumberpro :

How does you get on ?

Customer:

Have now removed bleed screw & turned the pump with a screwdriver and is turning freely & have turned thermostat up..... still not pumping!

Plumberpro :

Ok . sorry buy the main starting capacitor must be dead .

Plumberpro :

It must have been very week to go to fault at the change of speed

Customer:

Ok. Thanks a lot

Plumberpro :

Your welcome