Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

GOT A HOTPOINT WASHER MAKE IS AQUARIUS WMA56 .. THE DOOR LOCK

Customer Question

GOT A HOTPOINT WASHER MAKE IS AQUARIUS WMA56 .. THE DOOR LOCK LIGHT STAYS ON , AND THE WASHER WILL NOT DO ANY THING
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK this will be one of two things, either the door lock is faulty and you will need to replace it or the main facia pcb has been damaged by the door lock having become faulty. How handy are you with a screw driver?

JACUSTOMER-gp9kgg38- :

o/k you are talking to a sparkey,, but not on site where the washer is

Dales-Electronic :

Excellent, before you replace anything just try this, these door locks are just a positive and negative supply and a positive feed through to the main facia pcb, they are made of plastic and wear quite often, so first thing to do is get some WD40 and spray it into the door catch hole, then slam the door. If the washer now works then youre good to go but will need to change the door lock fairly soon, part number is(###) ###-#### ***** however this doesn't work what has happened is that the lock has shorted out and has likely blown a track off the pcb. Take the top off and you can see it behind the facia, you will need a Torx20 two screws at the front behind little caps push back and lift it off. Then you can see the board and any damage. If this is damaged I have a company that will refurb it for you at a reasonable price and guarantee there work ~ have you got that sofar ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-gp9kgg38- :

I know abit about washer m/c,s... wsa a maintantion electrication for a theam park

Dales-Electronic :

Would you now rate my service which allows me to shut down this job but also allows you to ask further questions at no extra cost to you ~ you can ping me on here and we can continue if the above does not solve your problem ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-gp9kgg38- :

I will not be going on site till 2 : 30. this afternoon, how will I contact you later today

Dales-Electronic :

Just come back on here I am here up until 4pm and then back on at 6pm ~ as I said before if you rate the service the system allows us to have free question and answer service until you sort out the problem to your satisfaction.

JACUSTOMER-gp9kgg38- :

did what you said ....no joy... took top off, look at the switch, unscrewed it of the front, unclipped the back and pressed the contact,s and away the washer worked (door light stopped flashing and it stared to fill up with water. Put it all together and the door lock started to flash again ,like before.. The make of the switch is METALFLEX. ZV-446. M4. T85, 240 V.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.

As mentioned earlier you need to change the switch, once faulty the slightest vibration will cause it to fail and if you aren't careful will cause it to blow the module pcb to bits. They only cost about £5 whilst the board will set you back about £60. Would you now kindly rate my service with the smiley faces below so I can close the job down but give you access to further information free of charge ~ Ian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

IAN. Time now is 19:16 and I would like an answer , before tomorrow , (as I have paid £20 Yes I will rate your service, where do I get a switch from .METALFLEX.ZV-446. M4. T85. 250V. Washer m/c is HOTPOINT. AQUARIUS. WMA56. 1300 SPIN.. THANKS DAVID

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

put new switch on .. and still the door light flashers.. put old switch back on ,,put link across the switch wirers and the door light stays on , and the washer works o/k,,, BUT you can still open the door while it is washing answer please .... david

OK you have either reversed the live in and live out on the interlock or you have blown the neutral connection on the board. I need you to tell me which interlock you had fitted to the original and which one has now been supplied as there was a change of manufacturer mid way through the life of the appliance. However, the new interlock was supplied with a modification sheet as the wiring was reversed. So to reiterate, I need the colour of the two interlocks and the colour codes of the wires and which connectors on the interlock they are fitted to in the original installation. they are usually marked 1 2 3
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your reply...The lady is out now (13:00hrs) will go later this afternoon thanks...david.. what time in uk do work till

Usually up until about 2300

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

good evening,, Ian. the wires are not number, but there is a black wirer on the right (looking from the front ) and two white wirers,,, the two what all liked now to get the washer going are the two white,s...The new switch has noes 2. 3. 4..at the bottom reading left to right ...number on new switch is ZV-446. E116001575905

HOPE THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER,S..... DAVID

I think the pcb may be damaged at this point but have you got a multimeter with you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES, But not on site ,can go later,,

what do you want me to measure will it be d,v volts

OK this is really simple, you should have a neutral supply a live supply and a supply back to the pcb when you close and energise the door, as I said below if you place one of your multimeter probes in the black wire and then carefully put a probe into one of the white wires and switch the appliance on you should have about 230v if you have got the right white ~ you haven't told me whether you have got a different new interlock to the original or whether it is the same? If it is different then you have to change the wires over if not then the connections on the interlock will be in a connector block that you just change over. If it is the same interlock and it still doesn't work you will have to follow the wires up to the pcb above and see if you have blown a track off the board~ Ian
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George.. Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

OK.. to add to what Ian has already told you.. when you take the board off, please look at the chip in the right hand lower corner to see if the chil has a piece missing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not looked at the board yet ... I think the two white cable want changing over to suit this new switch

Do not alter the cables

The cables are the same for both switches...

But I do need you to let me know if the chip on the board is damaged

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will look on Friday....thanks

OK.. but please do not alter alter any wiring at all.. there is no necessity to do so
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

right... no voltage at all on any wirers.. put one test lead on the black ,other on white = no volts , put it on other white = no volts, put both test leads across the white no = no volts THEN I put on test lead to earth ( frame of washer ) one to white got volts

Once again I will ask.. have you checked the board behind the facia panel for damage... if this board is damaged you will get not response at the door lock
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cannot see any damage without getting the facie off ,,then the board out thanks.. the washer still works o/k , but door will not lock , due to no volts, and when it has finshed the end light does not come on

You have stated earlier that you have a voltage between one of the white wires and earth, this clearly indicates that you have no neutral to the switch. As mentioned by my college earlier, this indicates that you have a fault to the board or one of the triacs on the board or alternatively a problem with the board to interlock cable. You need to get the board out and have a look as requested by George. The interlock is a safety feature and should not be by-passed !!

Correct orientation of plug for interlock depending on type

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

good morning George.. hope you are well..

busy day on Saturday...

back to the washer... thanks for your help .. the lady can not afford the prices of a new board before Christmas, is o/k with the washer as it is.. In the new year I will take the board out and check it over... BY THE WAY I CAN NOT SEE ANY IMAGE WHAT YOU SENT ME , IT WILL NO OPEN...

THANKS DAVID.........

Click on the image... it will open in a new page... right click on the little image holder you see and choose view image