Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Grant vortex boiler I think I have an air lock in the oil

Grant vortex boiler
I think I have an air lock in the oil pipe line . How do I get the oil flowing again. There is oil in the tank and the valve is fully open. I think I caused the problem when I changed the oil tank sight glass. Now the boiler will not fire up.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

What model of boiler is it & has it gone into lockout?

Dales-Electronic :

Don't know whether you will find manual on web, but bleeding is quite simple.
First, do you have a filter in line, if so bleed that if there are bleed screws, if no filter bleed screws, move to burner.
Remove the red cover: one screw at top, one at front.
Look to left of burner to the oil pump. you will see brass hexagonal adapter to bottom left with an allen screw plug in the end. If you have an isolating tap within the boiler, isolate the oil supply and remove the plug. Place a container under the adapter & switch on the isolation tap. When the oil flows clear without bubbles, switch off the iso tap & replace plug. Press reset on the burner, switch on isolation tap and start boiler.
If no isolation tap on boiler, slowly loosen plug in the end of the adapter and let it bleed slowly, when bubbles stop, tighten plug, press reset and start boiler. ~ It is just a case of following the oil through the system from the tank and then into the boiler. It may take a few resets to get it going ~ Ian

Customer:

Hi Ian, It is a Vortex 15-26 Pro Utility. No it isnt locked out

Customer:

Thanks Ian, There are two filters one on the tank and another on the outside wall. The one by the wall has a button under that I can pull down would that release any air?

Customer:

I think I'll go for bleeding the oil line at the oil pump it sounds relatively easy

Dales-Electronic :

Yes ~ I attach a link to the installation instructions for you model there is a section in there about bleeding the system, simplified once you have got oil to the boiler pump you should be OK but as I said earlier it may lock out a couple of times until it gets the oil flowing ~ http://www.bing.com/search?q=vortex+15+26+pro+boiler&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IE10TR ~ if you could now rate my service using the smiley faces below I can shut this call down, You will be able to come back to me at any time later free of charge once this is done ~ have fun ~ Ian

Customer:

Hi Ian, Your instructions were first class. I bled the oil line and the boiler is now working perfectly. Thank You.