George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a 14 year old condensing tumble dryer, a Bosch WTL 5500,

I have a 14 year old condensing tumble dryer, a Bosch WTL 5500, which was working just fine until a couple of days ago....I put a new wet load in to dry but the 'dry' indicator lamp lights up as soon as I hit 'start'. The timer runs down but the machine won't start. Have cleaned out the filters (fluff and cooling), can't see anything wrong.
Might it be an electrical fault / old age time to get a new one or might it be repairable at low cost?
Many thanks.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses as I'm not constantly available.

Your appliance is certainly repairable, but the cost of repairs depends on what has gone wrong...

Since you say the machine wont start, I assume you mean that the drum wont tumble... This is a common occurance when the weather turns cold and could be as simple as a motor drive capacitor failure..

If the appliance is still in good condition I would certainly have it repaired as it will cost a lot less than replacement cost and to be honest, the older machines are much more reliable in my opinion.

I suggest you click this link to the Find An Engineer search facility to find an Appliance Technician local to where you live.

George-Allsorts :

Please rate my assistance as best as you can; I will then make myself available should you require any further assistance regarding this issue or should you require discount prices on parts

George-Allsorts :

Is there any further assistance you require with this issue?

Customer:

sorry for not responding till now. many thanks for your help. I'm still trying to get an engineer they are a bit slow to respond but I guess that is due to it being Christmas. Cheers.