Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

beko cf64s, fridge freezer,light on in top fridge but no compressor

Customer Question

beko cf64s, fridge freezer,light on in top fridge but no compressor running. all at room temp. just before xmas eh. any ideas? phil
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

beko fridge freezer stopped light on,so power any ideas? phil

Dales-Electronic :

OK are we saying that the internal light is on?

Dales-Electronic :

Are you able to use a multimeter?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

hi, yes

Dales-Electronic :

Can you use a multimeter?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

yes

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you go around the back of the appliance can you feel the temperature of the compressor (motor) is it hot or cold?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

all at room temp now

Dales-Electronic :

No I need the motor temperature not the temperature around or in the freezer

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

compressor is the same temp as the casing

Dales-Electronic :

OK in that case I think you have a faulty thermostat, but to be sure how competent are you with this multimeter, can you take a mains voltage reading?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

yes

Dales-Electronic :

OK unplug the appliance and then take off the electrical cover of the compressor. Noting there positions take off the two supply connectors to the motor relay and overload assembly (if there is a start capacitor connected leave these connectors in place)

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

how do you get this black cover off, undone the cable stays, does it just pull off?

Dales-Electronic :

Depending on who manufactured the compress it has either got a clip holding the cover on or alternatively it will have a couple of screw that hold it together with the rest of the electrics on.

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

copressor is a jiaxipera theunit seems to be in one piece, i dont want to break it,,

Dales-Electronic :

Hold on a sec I'll just check I have some of those compressors in the workshop

Dales-Electronic :

OK all the ones I have here have a metal clip that goes from left to right across the back of the cover just unclip it and the cover comes off

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

no clip and no other screws, just seems to be moulded right round unit, just stuck!

Dales-Electronic :

OK can you see a small rectangular hole at the top right front of the cover ?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

done it, put a screw driver in and it unclipped, now what

Dales-Electronic :

OK you should see a round thermal cut out connected to the top pin of the compressor ?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

yes

Dales-Electronic :

And below it a squarish block that pushes onto two pins below the one above?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

yes

Dales-Electronic :

OK can you see where the two insulated push on connectors connect to the back of both components, I need you to remove them (noting which way they fit) but be aware that they are difficult to get off so be careful you don't pull the wires out of the back of the connector, using a pair of pliers is always a good idea.

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

one brown one blue

Dales-Electronic :

OK switch the multimeter to volts ac depending upon whether it autoranging or if not you likely will have to set the maximum volts to 300v Put one probe end in each connector and switch the appliance on ~ tell me what reading you get on the multimeter

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

just my luck, my fluke meter has stopped reading ac volts, all other functions ok. my son has a meter can i get back to you

Dales-Electronic :

Yes that OK no problem I will be here all day, glad you have a decent multimeter, Fluke is the only make I use, I will be out for about an hour around 4pm but other than that I'll be around just ping me here and we can continue ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

cheers ***** ***** your help. how do i get back to you?

Dales-Electronic :

Just sign back in on here, my laptop is set up that if a call comes in for me it pings and I can come back to you, if I don't come back straight away I will as soon as I can ~ You any idea how long then I can make sure Im around?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

no idea ian, do your xmas shopping! this afternoon probably. phil

Dales-Electronic :

OK Phil, no worries catch you later on

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

Hello ian, back with meter, showing 0 volts, is that good or bad? phil

Dales-Electronic :

OK Im back now, yes that is fine, you can put it all back together now and I will sort out a couple of things whilst you are doing it, ping me back when you have finished there.

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

hi, put the plugs back,ok

Dales-Electronic :

Just a quick question before we move on, was there another black box mounted in left side of the compressor recess and bolted to the back or top?

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

Hi, no other boxes

Dales-Electronic :

OK that's fine, you have two pcbs fitted to this unit, one that is behind a panel at the top centre rear, just two screws holding the cover and another that is the electronic thermostat which is within the thermostat housing, The one at the centre rear controls the power switching whilst the one behind the thermostat housing looks after temperature control. Just take the centre rear one out first and see if there is any burn marks or damage to it (power off please)

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

no sign of burning, all looks new and clean

Dales-Electronic :

OK take a note of its part number should start 43 and put it back in the slot

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- : (###) ###-####/p>
Dales-Electronic :

OK at this point Phil I would work on changing this power board and the thermostat board, the total cost to you in parts would only be about £35 the part number for the thermostat board is(###) ###-####which is around £8 ~ since there is no labour involved and you are handly with tools I would get them both in and you will be covering all bases ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

OK how do i get to the thermostat board?

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you take off of the thermostat cover and the board is behind the thermostat knob, its a small pcb

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

How confident are you about changing these boards will work and where do i get them from? phil

Dales-Electronic :

Essentially there are three parts to this appliance, the motor (compressor) the thermal control and the power control. We have no power at the motor end we have checked but if you want to take it further then you could connect the motor with a flying lead to the two connectors at the back of the motor where we tested for voltage ie pull the plugs off and connect the motor directly to the power. That would confirm that the motor is OK. Assuming that the motor works that only leaves the power board at the back, which switches on/off in line with the electronic signals it gets from the thermostat pcb.

JACUSTOMER-hw0ecp1l- :

Ok will not try the motor, but get the boards. Where do i get them from?

Dales-Electronic :

Try a company called Qualtex on #01795 596750 they have both boards in stock, you may have to wait until Monday or else you could try the online guys, the part numbers are good with who ever you use. Could you now kindly rate my service to you, using the smiley faces below, once done you can come back to me for further advice at any time later when you get the boards in ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi ian, got the boards, thermostat one was ok. put the power board one in and hey presto! seems to be working. Hope it keeps going. Thanks for your help. Have a good Christmas. Phil

Good news Phil, Have a great Christmas and seasons greetings to you Ian