Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hi Daniel I have a baumatic bdi631 dishwasher that refuses

Hi Daniel I have a baumatic bdi631 dishwasher that refuses to fill with water even though there's water pressure and I am getting a continuity reading from the inlet valve?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

I can help you with this but as you have requested Daniel I can opt out and let him take the question when he comes on the site, the choice is yours?

Customer: Hi Dale as long as I get it sorted and you get the money lets get on with it.
Dales-Electronic :

OK you say that you have continuity thro the valve what reading do you get?

Dales-Electronic :

What made you change the valve in the first place and are you ok to use a multimeter?

Customer: 3.60 on the new one I have put on.
Dales-Electronic :

OK if you take off the connectors to this valve and stick the multimeter probes in the connector end what voltage do you have on start up of the appliance just after the first pump out right at the start of the program sequence?

Customer: See it on the web and and showed how to check with multi meter.
Customer: Am just going to check bit a novice with multi meter so what setting do I have it on have a digital one?
Dales-Electronic :

Understand that, so you diagnosed that the valve was faulty by following instructions on the web, that's OK. What make of multimeter do you have ?

Customer: Its a excel xl830l.
Dales-Electronic :

OK if you turn it I click to the right is that 600v the manual I have here is not very clear

Customer: Yes
Dales-Electronic :

Ok well just remember this, we have a potentially lethal voltage her so we are going to take it slowly, have you taken off the two wires to the new valve?

Customer: Yes and put probes in connectors.
Dales-Electronic :

OK set the multimeter to 600v 1 click right and then (making sure that the probes are not touching) switch on the electric and start a program after a short burst of pump activity you should see a reading on the multimeter display ~ what is it?

Customer: Going between 243/244.
Dales-Electronic :

OK is the valve buzzing?

Dales-Electronic :

OK forgot a section, unplug reconnect the valve and is the valve buzzing when you restart a program?

Customer: to get washer working had to hold start and programme button down together didn't hear any buzz though.
Dales-Electronic :

OK have you now got it letting in water?

Customer: No intensive wash light is on though but nothing's happening.
Dales-Electronic :

OK you have the correct voltage going to the valve, now bearing in mind that the valve is an electro mechanical device once you have this voltage the valve seat lifts and lets water in, if no water is going in then either the valve is faulty or you have insufficient water pressure/no water pressure at the valve to supply the dishwasher. You should hear the valve buzz once voltage is supplied, if it doesn't then the valve is likely faulty. (yes even new ones can be faulty) So check that you have water to the valve screw on piece and listen for the buzz

Customer: Dale there is water pressure to the valve but no buzzing how can I check the valve is at fault?
Dales-Electronic :

Have you got enough cable on the valve to remove it from the back of the cabinet whilst still connected ?

Customer: Yes I have it out as is integral washer.
Dales-Electronic :

Yes I understand - what I meant was can you removed the valve from the appliance with enough of its cable connected to allow you to reconnect the water supply from the tap?

Customer: Yes
Dales-Electronic :

OK disconnect the electric, then disconnect the inner side of the valve and hang it outside the appliance then connect the inlet water hose to the back. Be careful that non of the electric connectors can short out to the case, wrap them up in a towel or something. you should now have the inside part of the valve open, put a towel under it. Switch the appliance on and tell me if water comes out of the valve when you have a program going just after the pump out

Customer: did you mean to disconnect the hose on machine from inlet valve and run to see if water comes out of valve?
Dales-Electronic :

have you a pair piece of cable with a plug on one end and do you have the ability to crimp a couple of push fit connectors on the other end?

Customer: Have the ability but have no crimps.
Dales-Electronic :

OK you have to establish if this valve is faulty, this entails connecting up the + & - supply to the valve spade connectors and switching on the electric. Without putting you at risk I cant see a way of doing this other than by connecting up a flying lead and seeing if the valve works with a water supply. The reading of both resistance and voltage are correct but mechanically I cant confirm its operation without fully water testing it. If you have a washing machine with the same valve you could carefully change them over and see but otherwise you will have to make up a test lead

Customer: Could I not just make one up and insulate with electrical tape obviously taking care not to get electrocute myself?
Dales-Electronic :

yes You could cut back the insulation and push it through the hole in the middle of the spade connector on the valve and then wrap insulation tape around it, then connect the water supply pipe to the screw end and turn the water on, then switch the electric on and see if water comes out of the valve

Customer: ok will try this will let you know what happens.
Dales-Electronic :

ok

Customer: Hi Dale on the valve which spade end is +and-?
Customer: Hi Dale I think I will have to get a new valve again or get a repair man round cos I surrender effing things done me!
Dales-Electronic :

You can connect the wires either way around it doesn't mater

Dales-Electronic :

Well lets give it one more go before we give in

Customer: Hello Dale it's Nigel I have checked out the inlet valve at work and it is in good working order have you any ideas what could be the problem keep looking for a float but can't seem to locate it was wondering if it's stuck would this dishwasher have one?
Dales-Electronic :

The appliance has a float in the base which is used to switch the appliance off in the event of a leak and a pressure switch in the side that measures the amount of water in to the appliance ~ however, if you have 240v at the valve then the valve should be letting in water irrespective of floats/pressure switches or anything else. Perhaps you might recheck the voltage at the valve terminals. Ian

Customer: Thanks Ian I have taken the left hand side off and have taken the plastic tank off is the water sucked into dishwasher or is it just the water pressure that forces the water in once the inlet valve opens?
Dales-Electronic :

The water pressure from the mains supply fills the tank, it is not sucked in.

Customer: Ok thanks I think I have sorted the water issue but can't select a programme when washer turned on any ideas?
Dales-Electronic :

OK have you cancelled the program by switching on and holding the program button in to clear the microprocessors memory?

Customer: The mistake I was making was trying to select a programme with the door closed not to put the jinx on it but I think I Sussed it just by taking it apart and blowing all the pipes clear fingers crossed.
Dales-Electronic :

OK well good luck, if you could rate my service to you I can close the job down on the system, this then allows you to come back to me at any time for further advice free of charge. Kindly select on of the smiley faces below ~ Well done we got there in the end ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Would you kindly rate my service to you so that I can close down this job. Thanks ~ Ian

Customer: Ok will do Ian thanks for your assistance.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.