canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Our microwave oven appears to have "frozen". The interior

Customer Question

Our microwave oven appears to have "frozen". The interior light remains on and programme selection doesn't work. Switching off at the mains doesn't change things. The clock still works, but nothing else is functional.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you unplug it for 30 minutes and plug it back in, does it remove the issue?

JACUSTOMER-28093efy- : No, sadly not. The microwave had been switched off all night. I've just switched it back on and the unit is closed but the interior light is still on and there is no functionality except the clock which works. BJH
Customer:

Was it switched off or unplugged?

Customer:

If you close the door firmly does the inside light turn off at all?

JACUSTOMER-28093efy- : Switched off at the mains plug. The plug remained in the socket. Access is very restricted but I can reach the plug switch, hence the light goes out and the clock stops.
Customer:

How about the result of closing the door firmly? Does the light go turn off even for a second?

JACUSTOMER-28093efy- : No. Slamming the door tight shut makes no impression. Not even a flicker. Tried several times.
Customer:

That is very unfortunate. The control board is needing replacing. It may just be a capacitor on the board that needs replacing if you can electronics solder. Replace the main board and that will fix it.

JACUSTOMER-28093efy- : Where do I get a control board replaced for a ten year old microwave from de Dietrich who no longer operate in UK. I'm not happy.
Customer:

I understand. It is very frustrating. I am sorry that it is that way. These boards fail very regularly. Would it be something that you would repair yourself or would you have a service replace it?

Customer:

If you are quite handy and if there was a scale of 1-10 for difficulty it would be about a 7. It is some surgery. If you would have someone do it for you then it will very likely be near the cost of a new microwave.

Customer:

You could order a new board at your local appliance parts distributor. Just have the model and serial number.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for trying. I plan to try and speak to De Dietrich when they open on Monday morning and discuss further options with them. It seems possible that the microwave needs replacing completely. A repair or call out my not be cost effective.
I think that is a very good idea. Who knows they may warranty it anyway. Not likely but still possible.