George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Replaced main fan oven element. Single spade detached and blew

Customer Question

Replaced main fan oven element. Single spade detached and blew 30 amp fuse. Replaced and clock works. Switch for lights results in no fan no lights BUT element heats up!.
Have not selected any other function in fear of more damage.
Have you any idea what is wrong?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.

I can't get a grasp of what you have described there ... can you go into more detail but in separate stages

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

I replaces the main circular element but when pushing through to fix to the back of the oven, the single wire spade must have detached and the main CU 30amp fuse blew.

George-Allsorts :

Then you need to remove the oven from the cavity and reinstate the wire...

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

I refitted the element only to find that now when switching to the lights as a first stage they do not work, nor does rhe fan.However, the element does. Also the clock and top oven is fully operational. So, George, does this help?

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. seems to me that the short has damaged the selector switch... you need to check for any tabs that are not detatching as you turn the selector

George-Allsorts :

Thank you for the better explanation

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

I have checked the control box on the top and the rotor and terminals are all looking pristine.

George-Allsorts :

I would still check the selector switch as it is the only source of power for the light, the fan, and the element.... Also, check to see if the operation of the selector changes at all through the full turn

George-Allsorts :

you either have a welded tab.. or a short

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

OK I will be back in a minute or three.

George-Allsorts :

Either that, or somehow you have mis-configured the wiring, but by your description, this seems unlikely

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

When switching between the light and the fan oven setting, there is a crackling buzz from the copper strips when the rotor engages them.

George-Allsorts :

They have been damaged by the short circuit... Replace the selector switch... Do you need the part number?

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

Yes please!!

George-Allsorts :

One moment

George-Allsorts :

At the end of the ENr there should be a couple more digits ie.u1661n2gb /xx can you tell me what that is

George-Allsorts :

and the selector that you need, is it on the left or right of the oven

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

The main oven selector is on the left, top oven on the right.

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

After the model number there is a large gap and then /01

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

TYPE HBB-AP59-8

George-Allsorts :

The part number is ***** but Neff say: "Regretfully part number 00480494 is no longer available"

George-Allsorts :

You will need to try repair the item... Alternatively, contact me tomorrow, I may have a second user unit

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask you to take a moment to rate my assistance so far... Using the smiley faces which you should now see, please rate how happy you are with my attempts to assist you..
Please remember when doing so, you are rating the time I have afforded you and perciverance in assisting you with your problem; my politeness and understanding of your issue; and the quality of the the answers given to you.
This will close our chat by you can still come back to me using the same link if you need more help.

JACUSTOMER-1ussatk2- :

Pretty poor service from Neff. Thanks, ***** ***** do as you say. Can I change good to excellent once I am up and running?

George-Allsorts :

Speak to you tomorrow

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Sorry, didn't get access to look today, will try again tomorrow
Ok Christopher, I got access to my store and have found that... I have one.. I have tested it and it is fully working...

Can you post the numbers from te top sticker of your control
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The numbers are: B13604-011E

Type 315-40

This is really down to cost. A new Neff at around £500 v 12 years old etc.

Look forward to hearing from you

Chris.

Excellent... Please call me on (07787182156)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George,

Sorted - everything tickety-boo !

Thanks again.

Chris.

Thanks for letting me know... Turkey is shaking now...

Excellent rating then Christopher? :)